Whole Rabbit

Heather

I need a rabbit with the liver and kidneys for the terrine de lapin aux noisettes in Patricia Wells' Bistro Cooking. Anyone have a suggestion of who to call? Rabbit I can find, but they don't seem to have the giblets included.

Or alternatively, do you think I could substitute a little chicken liver?

I need a rabbit with the liver and kidneys for the terrine de lapin aux noisettes in Patricia Wells' Bistro Cooking. Anyone have a suggestion of who to call? Rabbit I can find, but they don't seem to have the giblets included.

I'd talk to Mel at Market Poultry. If he doesn't carry it he should be able to get it for you.

Welcome to your new people friendly, not evil car-dominated, future!
That would be just great, if I didn't have to walk a half mile south to get on at Takoma, then take it one stop and then walk a half mile south again to the store. :P Sigh.

Thanks for the Market Poultry suggestion, HV. I'll call today.

I've had very good luck with that sort of thing at Lancaster County Meats (301-916-2081) in the Amish Market in Germantown. They're only open on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

Thanks for the Market Poultry suggestion, HV. I'll call today.
I don't know if you called or not, but I thought I'd mention that I was there yesterday, and there was a big sign advertising organic PA rabbit for $4.19 per pound. I asked if it included giblets and was told that it does.

I was quite surprised to see a bunch of rabbits (frozen, not fresh) at the Ft. Belvoir commissary-I was tempted, but my daughter was w/ me & she vetoed them as being 'too much like a bunny'. I remembered reading somewhere that they were fun to cook because butchering them was just like a larger animal (pig, cow) only scaled down quite a bit & that's what I thought when I looked at them, probably need at least a couple to make any sort of meal. Has anyone cooked any rabbit lately, should I give it a shot?

Also, I've been buying alot of basa at the commissary-it's pangasius, vietnamese catfish, quite inexpensive, a firm, mild tasting fish-everyone in the family likes it. I dust it with Wondra & Old Bay, & panfry it w/ canola & butter. I just hope it doesn't get too popular, because I'm sure the price will go up. I got some backfin crabmeat last week ($16.99/lb) & made some delicious crabcakes, but I'm really the only one in the house that likes crab (& yes, I ate most of them)...

I was quite surprised to see a bunch of rabbits (frozen, not fresh) at the Ft. Belvoir commissary-I was tempted, but my daughter was w/ me & she vetoed them as being 'too much like a bunny'. I remembered reading somewhere that they were fun to cook because butchering them was just like a larger animal (pig, cow) only scaled down quite a bit & that's what I thought when I looked at them, probably need at least a couple to make any sort of meal. Has anyone cooked any rabbit lately, should I give it a shot?

Also, I've been buying alot of basa at the commissary-it's pangasius, vietnamese catfish, quite inexpensive, a firm, mild tasting fish-everyone in the family likes it. I dust it with Wondra & Old Bay, & panfry it w/ canola & butter. I just hope it doesn't get too popular, because I'm sure the price will go up. I got some backfin crabmeat last week ($16.99/lb) & made some delicious crabcakes, but I'm really the only one in the house that likes crab (& yes, I ate most of them)...

Only problem with rabbit is that there's not much fat. They make great food though. Lapin is quite common on French menus.