Looking for Wine Boxes

I have a bunch of wine that I need to move in to offsite storage. I am looking for some cardboard boxes with dividers that are relatively new and in good shape. Almost all of my boxes have styro and they will take up way too much space in my locker.

Do retailers typically give these things away--or do they re use them all for their customers. Any idea where else I can get these for a good price?

Need some boxes for bordeaux, rhone, burgundy, and "pax" sized bottles.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I have a bunch of wine that I need to move in to offsite storage. I am looking for some cardboard boxes with dividers that are relatively new and in good shape. Almost all of my boxes have styro and they will take up way too much space in my locker.

Do retailers typically give these things away--or do they re use them all for their customers. Any idea where else I can get these for a good price?

Need some boxes for bordeaux, rhone, burgundy, and "pax" sized bottles.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Total Wine has endless amounts of them, free for the taking. (The wooden cases are $5 each, but the cardboard boxes you can just take - they keep them by the front door, so you can just tell a cashier you're hauling them away.)

Cheers,

Rocks.

Total Wine has endless amounts of them, free for the taking. (The wooden cases are $5 each, but the cardboard boxes you can just take - they keep them by the front door, so you can just tell a cashier you're hauling them away.)

Cheers,

Rocks.

Thanks for the suggestion--will have to head over there this weekend.

A specific Total Wine location or do all of them do this?

Annandale yes, Landmark, Chantilly, and McLean I think so. In general, they probably all do, but I'd call to be sure. If you're in town I'm pretty sure Calvert-Woodley will stick some wine cases out on the back loading dock if you call them ahead of time.

Cheers,

Rocks.

If you're in upper Northwest, the SuperFresh on 48th Street, just off of Massachusetts will help you. Similarly, you can get them at Paul's Liquors on Wisconsin Avenue at Garrison, and behind the Montgomery County Liquor Store in Bethesda at 5432 Westbard Avenue (they just stack them up there for anyone to take).

Another approach to offsite storage that might work for you is this - PVC pipe. Seriously, I know a few people who have used 4in diameter PVC pipe to build racks within their storage units. Depending on the size of your wine locker, you can generally fit two bottles in each PVC tube, and the 4in diameter can accomodate both Pax and Krug bottles. If you stack up the PVC well, they will fit almost perfectly into the space - one of my friends also mixed in some 3in diameter pipe to store 1/2 bottles and to achieve a tighter fit. Cost was approx .50-.75 per bottle

Just another option for you to consider...

The McLean location can be stingy with the boxes - it depends who you talk to in the store. If you go to the McLean Total Wine there is another wine store around the corner called The Vineyard. It couldn't hurt to ask if they have boxes to spare.

We never have enough boxes because we use almost all of them to pack up liquor, wine and beer for delivery to events, and they aren't always returned to us, or at least not in reusable condition.

If you'd like some new, clean cardboard boxes, I can sell you some - we buy them from one of our distributors, and we have to assemble and tape them ourselves, but I'd pass along our cost to you. You'd need to have some duct or good box tape, though.

We buy them 50-75 at a time.

We never have enough boxes because we use almost all of them to pack up liquor, wine and beer for delivery to events, and they aren't always returned to us, or at least not in reusable condition.

If you'd like some new, clean cardboard boxes, I can sell you some - we buy them from one of our distributors, and we have to assemble and tape them ourselves, but I'd pass along our cost to you. You'd need to have some duct or good box tape, though.

We buy them 50-75 at a time.

Joe,

Do the boxes that you order hold bottles that are 3.5" wide at the bottom? I have a lot of Pinot/Syrah bottles that are a wide at the bottom and am having trouble finding boxes that will work for this size bottles.

If you do I would definitely be interested.