An(g)us

Mark Slater

Sad. Very sad. We have now arrived at the lowest common denominator in advertising.

I thought Burger King already had that ground covered between their "I am man! No more girl food" campaign and the creepy plastic head king in someone's bedroom.

Actually, I think it's funny. Jack in the Box have always been "edgier" with their advertising. I remember one ad from about six years ago when Jack is "giving back" to the community by doing a "guidance counselling"session at a local public school. He answers many question from various tykes but is left nonplussed when asked "How do you know if you're a lesbian?".

Another good one was when Jack was working late in the office and his wife calls him to find out what he's doing. He's trying to come up with a name for their new burger but the best he can think of is "double double bacon cheeseburger". There's a pause and he says "You're wearing WHAT?!?". The ad abruptly ends with name of the burger staying as "double double bacon cheeseburger". Kids everywhere were asking their parents why they were laughing so hard.

Actually, I think it's funny. Jack in the Box have always been "edgier" with their advertising. I remember one ad from about six years ago when Jack is "giving back" to the community by doing a "guidance counselling"session at a local public school. He answers many question from various tykes but is left nonplussed when asked "How do you know if you're a lesbian?".

Another good one was when Jack was working late in the office and his wife calls him to find out what he's doing. He's trying to come up with a name for their new burger but the best he can think of is "double double bacon cheeseburger". There's a pause and he says "You're wearing WHAT?!?". The ad abruptly ends with name of the burger staying as "double double bacon cheeseburger". Kids everywhere were asking their parents why they were laughing so hard.

I love the one with Lawrence Taylor and Brian Boitano. As described by JITB's own press release:

In the 30-second ad titled "Duck Hunting," Taylor is geared up in a camouflage football jersey and wearing eye black and a nasal strip, while Boitano, seated, is wearing a camouflage skating costume, with his legs draped over the side of the boat showing ice skates on his feet.

"What can you get for a buck?" Taylor wonders aloud as a dollar bill floats by. "A phone call?"

"Your autograph," Boitano bristles back to the miffed, 6'3", 240-pound former linebacker.

Just as a brouhaha between the two is about to begin, Jack steps in and touts the value of his new, 99-cent Big Cheeseburger, which features a jumbo beef patty and two kinds of melting cheese. The Big Cheeseburger joins a variety of items priced under a dollar on the chain's Value Menu, including the Jumbo Jack® hamburger, Jack's Western Cheeseburger, Chicken Sandwich, two tacos and Breakfast Jack® sandwich, to name a few.

The commercial ends with Taylor non-sensically yelling the non-sequitor "sal-cow."