Lunch on South Capitol Hill

Melissa LaV

(this is my first post and question...thank you for all your unwitting help to this point!)

My parents will be visiting me at work tomorrow, and we wanted to go out to lunch somewhere on the Hill. Our plan was to go to Sonoma, but they will be closed for renovations until Saturday.

Any other ideas for a tasty lunch, preferably with wine service, on the Hill? I work on the House side and would prefer to walk from the House Office Buildings.

Thank you!

M

(this is my first post and question...thank you for all your unwitting help to this point!)

My parents will be visiting me at work tomorrow, and we wanted to go out to lunch somewhere on the Hill. Our plan was to go to Sonoma, but they will be closed for renovations until Saturday.

Any other ideas for a tasty lunch, preferably with wine service, on the Hill? I work on the House side and would prefer to walk from the House Office Buildings.

Thank you!

M

Welcome, Melissa!

The House side is notoriously difficult; outside of Sonoma there really is nothing. But since the weather will be relatively pleasant you might walk over to Johnny's on the Half Shell, or, for something more swanky, Charlie Palmer Steak, which is in the same area. Good luck.

Thank you!

M

With Sonoma closed, you are posing a tough question. You may have to walk a bit. I'd head over to the Senate side for Charlie Palmer or Bistro Bis - both of which serve very good food and wine at prices that you would likely be glad to have your parents paying. There's not much in Sonoma's league within a short walk on the House side. Belga on 8th or Montmartre on 7th are the next spots that come to mind. If your folks are metroing down, I guess you could hop on the orange/blue at Cap South and meet them over there at Eastern Market.

Enjoy your lunch on the rents and welcome!

Montmartre or Belga Cafe are the only comparable options on the House side, but it's about as close to walk to Charlie Palmer Steak or Johnny's Half Shell on the Senate side as it is to either of those.

The walk to Montmartre or Belga would be not only somewhat longer, but also in the full sun, whereas walking to Johnny's or Charlie Palmer takes one through the leafy Senate side parks. Bistro Bis is a block or two farther yet.

Thank you all!

I think they would probably like the walk across the parks much more than the walk up lovely Pennsylvania Avenue. I'll try Johnny's or Charlie Palmer.

You guys are great! And I now have a whole new way to distract myself at work!!

I think they would probably like the walk across the parks much more than the walk up lovely Pennsylvania Avenue.

One could walk along Independence to 7th, make a right, and hit Montmartre. Or, in increasing order of beauty but also distance, A St SE, or East Capitol.