Chefs and Intellectual Property

Keithstg

But the detail that seems to gnaw at her most is a $7 appetizer on Mr. McFarland’s menu: “Ed’s Caesar.”

She has never eaten it, but she and her lawyers claim it is made from her own Caesar salad recipe, which calls for a coddled egg and English muffin croutons.

She learned it from her mother, who extracted it decades ago from the chef at a long-gone Los Angeles restaurant [my emphasis]. It became a kind of signature at Pearl. And although she taught Mr. McFarland how to make it, she said she had guarded the recipe more closely than some restaurateurs watch their wine cellars.

Uh...

The article does go on to say that when she told him how to make the salad, she told him he couldn't make it anywhere else, but it came from another restaurant to begin with! ;)

Uh...

The article does go on to say that when she told him how to make the salad, she told him he couldn't make it anywhere else, but it came from another restaurant to begin with! ;)

That's the same thing that I was thinking. It's not like it came to her in a dream or she spent thousands on R&D to create it. It came from another restaurant.

I wonder if her mother worked for the other chef that it came from.

That's the same thing that I was thinking. It's not like it came to her in a dream or she spent thousands on R&D to create it. It came from another restaurant.

It would be as absurd as Eric Ziebold complaining about someone else stealing his Parker House roll concept! ;)