Phenylketonuria

Al Dente

Went to Bombay Club ... for RW ... food restrictions ... food allergies ... soy, sesame, nuts, carrots ... cannot eat any protein, especially dairy ... allergy card ... vegan ... no dairy ... it taste like nuts ... PKU ... presence of nuts ... no nuts ... allergy card ... I allergic to tree nuts ... oils as well ...

we are fully charged for everything ...

This is just unacceptable. Wholly disappointing ... the worst RW experience ... risk getting sick ... I am angry ... health at stake...

For those, like me, who don't know what PKU is. It affects 1 in 15,000 people.

Believe it or not, Diet Coke has a warning on the cans (or at least it used to) that says: Phenylketonurics: contains Phenylalanine.
It still does. I believe all soft drinks with aspartame carry that warning.

I feel fortunate not to have food allergies, but it must be enormously frustrating to go to great lengths to assure that food is allergen-free and find that it is not.

it must be enormously frustrating to go to great lengths to assure that food is allergen-free and find that it is not.

I'm sure it is. I'm also sure it's frustrating to try and build a menu around an extensive list of allergies on the fly on a Friday during Resturant Week.

I'm sure it is. I'm also sure it's frustrating to try and build a menu around an extensive list of allergies on the fly on a Friday during Resturant Week.
I think RAMW should adopt an official motto: "14,999 out of 15,000 ain't bad!"

:angry: Knock it off, you two. The OP didn't ask the restaurant to "build a menu around an extensive list of allergies". She presented clear information and ordered dishes that should have been trivial to modify. How can a waiter in an Indian restaurant not know that paneer is a dairy food? And how hard could it be to not put it in the supposedly vegan curry?

If she had arrived for her reservation without discussing the issues first, then it would be different. But she did exactly what we and TK and TS are always telling people to do: call first and ask.

"...before I made reservations I called the restaurant to see if we'd be safe to eat during restaurant week", she writes, and "was assured that it would be no problem". The restaurant is at fault here, for telling her they could accomodate special requests and then failing to do so. It's that simple.

:angry: Knock it off, you two. The OP didn't ask the restaurant to "build a menu around an extensive list of allergies". She presented clear information and ordered dishes that should have been trivial to modify. How can a waiter in an Indian restaurant not know that paneer is a dairy food? And how hard could it be to not put it in the supposedly vegan curry?

If she had arrived for her reservation without discussing the issues first, then it would be different. But she did exactly what we and TK and TS are always telling people to do: call first and ask.

"...before I made reservations I called the restaurant to see if we'd be safe to eat during restaurant week", she writes, and "was assured that it would be no problem". The restaurant is at fault here, for telling her they could accomodate special requests and then failing to do so. It's that simple.

Thank you, Elizabeth. I did not ask anyone to build a menu around allergies- in fact the only thing I substituted on the RW menu was salad for the appetizer. And I should point out that my friend did not even order off the RW menu. I called first, I asked. And my friend with PKU maintains that she has only been to one restaurant in DC where she could eat nothing off the menu; I too have only found one (other) place where there is nothing I can eat. That is why we don't go to these restaurants. That is why we call before- to make sure that we can go out and have a good dining experience in a nice restaurant with atmosphere. Otherwise we'd just stay home.

And then DC would be missing out on two very lovely ladies having a very lovely time.