Oven Problems

plunk

My wife and I just bought our first house and have recently noticed we've inherited an oven that cooks terribly unevenly. For example, a homemade pizza came out with one side burnt and the other side under done. We don't have the funds to spring for a new oven. Until we do, is there anything that we can do to eliminate the hot/cool spots? A water pan? Tiles? My wife likes to bake a lot and is getting tired of burnt/underdone cakes and breads.

My wife and I just bought our first house and have recently noticed we've inherited an oven that cooks terribly unevenly. For example, a homemade pizza came out with one side burnt and the other side under done. We don't have the funds to spring for a new oven. Until we do, is there anything that we can do to eliminate the hot/cool spots? A water pan? Tiles? My wife likes to bake a lot and is getting tired of burnt/underdone cakes and breads.
Maybe someone else will have a better suggestion, because all I can think of is to rotate the pan partway through cooking. That won't work with something that falls easily, though.

I realize I probably sound like a broken record, but consider investing in a couple of pizza stones.

I always leave them in the oven (except when making macarons!) since their thermal mass helps with nearly all baking (a big exception being macarons!) -- cakes, cookies (except macarons!), breads and so on. Just be sure to let them heat up long enough. I aim for 30-45 minutes when baking things at 350-375 degrees and preheat for a full hour for anything hotter.

Is it an electric oven? One of the heating elements may need replacement. A repair would probably be cheaper than a new oven. Sears will come out and fix appliances whether or not they were purchased there.