Pot Pie

I made the chicken pot pie with turnips and herbed crust from epicurious.com last week which was quite tasty. You could streamline the recipe quite a bit and it's a no brainer. Streamling might include substituting frozen veggies and crust, canned broth etc. The creamy bechamel was quite nice. The recipe called for quite a bit of thyme but I think it worked nicely and wouldn't cut back.

You know, for PA Dutchies, 'pot pie' is something entirely different than what most of the country thinks of as 'pot pie'. For PA Dutchies, pot pie is really a form of chicken noodle soup (my wife would smack me for oversimplifying this though!).

You know, for PA Dutchies, 'pot pie' is something entirely different than what most of the country thinks of as 'pot pie'. For PA Dutchies, pot pie is really a form of chicken noodle soup (my wife would smack me for oversimplifying this though!).

Or Chicken and Dumplings. I seem to recall getting this at a smorgasboard.

The PA Dutch dish is originally Bott Boi, but has morphed into being called pot pie. I still make the homemade noodles the way my grandmothers did - pile the flour on the counter and make a hole in the middle, break egg into middle, add ice water, mix, roll dough, cut into squares, let dry "awhile", then add to broth. The "let dry awhile" goes along with the instruction in many of their recipes that call for quantities such as "flour to stiffen."