Dining with Hearing-Impaired Friends

mame11

On Monday night I am going to dinner with 4 people, 2 of whom have a hard time hearing. They are staying in Dupont Circle. I would normally recommend Central or Tabard Inn but both of those restaurants are ridiculously loud. I think they would like Rays the Steak and am considering going there at 4 to put our name on the list but I think it is really loud there as well. So I come to DR.com community with hope that y'all will have some ideas. Thanks!

Tom's list of notably loud and quiet restaurants

10 of Washington's quieter venues

(70 decibels)

PS 7's

(69 decibels)

The Oval Room

(68 decibels)

Seasons in the Four Seasons

(68 decibels)

Le Paradou

(67 decibels)

Palena

(66 decibels)

BlackSalt's tasting room

(65 decibels)

Taberna del Alabardero

(65 decibels)

Little Fountain Cafe

(59 decibels)

Ristorante Tosca

(57 decibels)

As a deaf bastard myself Marcel's is my first choice for a quiet dinner. Another one that you might consider is New Heights, I have not been there when it has been too loud to be able to hear my wife without having to switch into restaurant mode (a setting I have that blocks all of the noise behind me and can actually make it easier for me to hear than my wife and her perfect hearing). Also I find that the upstairs at Dino is much quieter than the downstairs, and very pleasant.

Another option that came to mind for a quiet dining room is Matisse, it does not get much attention around here, but I have had great meals there and they have a fantastic wine list. The only draw back is that it is about halfway between two metro stations (Friendship Heights and the one at Mazza Gallery).