ZooFari

It's a great event. Many DC-area restaurants participate (see for yourself: http://nationalzoo.si.edu/ActivitiesAndEve...ntList2008.cfm), as do some wine vintners.

Tickets are $125 for members of FONZ (Friends of the National Zoo) and $125 for non-members. Food and wine are included.

I believe tickets are still available at the following URL: http://nationalzoo.si.edu/ActivitiesAndEve...ations/ZooFari/

My Mom has been treating my brother, my wife and me to this event for about five years now--it is always great. A staggering amount of preparation goes into it for what ends up being a frenzied two hours or so of eating. They have a great deal of info on what the Zoo does and what your dollars are benefiting (suffice it to say it is a hell of a lot more than panda food), and it is set up well for grownups and kids alike--this year I had a one year old in a stroller and a backpack (she couldn't decide), last year I pushed my Mom in a wheelchair...

All the big name places are there, but you can always stumble upon a gem you didn't expect. It is also a great chance to chat with the owners and chefs of restaurants as many are on hand. Highlights for me this year (other than Pilsner Urquell at the beer stands) were Dino's braised veal and mushroom crostini (served up by the man himself), DC Coast's pork tacos and Willow's insanely sinful Monte Cristo drizzled with a raspberry (I think) sauce. So sweet, so salty, so friggin' good.

And as we left, giant firehook cookies in hand (parting gift), the rain finally started--perfect timing.

I'll be there. Have gone every year for the past 6 years or so. I never miss it. :lol:

Have you been assigned your volunteer task yet? Would love to introduce myself to a fellow DRer if I have the chance.

Yes, we will be Table Monitors. Which probably means we'll be wondering aroung helping doing random things at the tables. But definitely look for us. We're both African American and short (5'3" -- though my husband swears that he is 5'5".) We will both be wearing khakis and white shirts. I have short curly hair with a lot of gray around the front. That all should make us pretty easy to spot.

Yes, we will be Table Monitors. Which probably means we'll be wondering aroung helping doing random things at the tables. But definitely look for us. We're both African American and short (5'3" -- though my husband swears that he is 5'5".) We will both be wearing khakis and white shirts. I have short curly hair with a lot of gray around the front. That all should make us pretty easy to spot.

Unfortunately I only caught your reply now. Sorry we missed you. :lol: