Brightwood Bistro, in the old Meridian Space - Closed

My husband got a Groupon for Brightwood Bistro a few months ago, so we decided to pop in on Thursday night for dinner. We walked in around 6:30, and the dining room was empty, but there were a couple of people at the bar. Unfortunately, it stayed pretty quiet there for the duration of our visit, which is really a shame since the food was very good, if a bit pricey.

I started with the buffalo frog legs and my husband had the fried oysters. The fried oysters were easily the better of the two appetizers--lightly fried, not too greasy, although the sauce was a little heavy on the Old Bay. The flavor of the frog legs was lost in the buffalo sauce, but this was a large appetizer. There were about 8 or 10 legs--a shareable portion, but given that many people are suspicious of frog legs, it probably would have worked better at half the size (with a lower price).

Our entrees were excellent. My shrimp and grits featured a fried grit cake--grits that were formed into a loaf, sliced, then lightly battered and fried. The shrimp were succulent, and the sauce was tasty. My husband had the lemon chicken, which was so flavor and juicy. My only complaint on both of those dishes was that were a little on the salty side (even my husband thought so, and he loves salt).

There were only two desserts on the menu--a coconut cake and a pound cake. The coconut cake was phenomenal, and was easily one of the best I've ever had (and I love the one at Ray's). The cake was dense, the icing was not too sweet and the homemade whipped cream had brandy in it. Plus the portion was so big that we ate half of it, and then brought the rest of it home to enjoy later that night.

The wines by the glass list and the beer list seemed a little light, and their cocktails seemed geared toward those who like fruity, neon colors.

I want this place to succeed, but in this economy and in that location, I can see how it might be hard to sustain that particular restaurant with those prices. Dinner came out to almost a $100 before the $35 coupon. They seem to have a pretty good deal on Tuesday nights (a 2 person, 3 course meal for $25), so that might be a good way to try it out on a budget.

I want this place to succeed, but in this economy and in that location, I can see how it might be hard to sustain that particular restaurant with those prices.

Can anyone verify that Brightwood Bistro is still open? Their website is down, the phone is rolling over to voice mail (which is full), and the restaurant is currently unavailable on Open Table.

Can anyone verify that Brightwood Bistro is still open? Their website is down, the phone is rolling over to voice mail (which is full), and the restaurant is currently unavailable on Open Table.

I drove past last evening and this morning, and it seems everything is still set up in the place (tables set with silverware/napkins, registers, etc) but it was not operational last eve during happy hour/dinner. There does not appear to be any type of sign on the door either announcing closure/changes.