There Was An Old Lady ...

finecognac

I went to Black Salt for lunch today. Didn't even know it was a Restaurant week. I generally avoid the restaurant week because services and foods are not usually up to the normal standard

Anyway, we were seated next to 3 older ladies in the bench section and one of the ladies sitting by herself in the bench had like 3 coats on the bench and she was sort of almost laying on the bench with her leg stretching out to almost to my table with her sole prominently displayed. I asked the manager if anybody can talk to the lady to ask her put her feet down and the manager said no. He basically said He can't do anything about it as long as the customer is not abusive to others. I guess spending your whole lunch looking at some body dirty sole is not abusive to him. I still don't understand why a manager in the service field can not come up with indirection and discretion like asking the lady "May we take your coats!".

I went to Black Salt many times before but this is my last !

I went to Black Salt for lunch today. Didn't even know it was a Restaurant week. I generally avoid the restaurant week because services and food are not usually up to the normal standard

Anyway, we were seated next to 3 older ladies in the bench section and one of the ladies sitting by herself in the bench had like 3 coats on the bench and she was sort of almost laying on the bench with her leg stretching out to almost to my table with her sole prominently displayed. I asked the manager if anybody can talk to the lady to ask her put her feet down and the manager said no. He basically said He can't do anything about it as long as the customer is not abusive to others. I guess spending your whole lunch looking at some body dirty sole is not abusive to him. I still don't understand why a manager in the service field can not come up with Indirection and discretion like asking the lady "May we take your coats!".

This is a joke... right?

Anyway, we were seated next to 3 older ladies in the bench section and one of the ladies sitting by herself in the bench had like 3 coats on the bench and she was sort of almost laying on the bench with her leg stretching out to almost to my table with her sole prominently displayed. I asked the manager if anybody can talk to the lady to ask her put her feet down and the manager said no. He basically said He can't do anything about it as long as the customer is not abusive to others. I guess spending your whole lunch looking at some body dirty sole is not abusive to him. I still don't understand why a manager in the service field can not come up with Indirection and discretion like asking the lady "May we take your coats!".

I was aware that displaying the soles of your shoes is considered rude in Arab cultures, but was not aware of similar opprobrium attached to such behavior here in the states. Annoying, yes; but I am not sure I would write off a restaurant based on this one incident. Would you have been similarly outraged if seated next to someone who sat with legs crossed to reveal the soles of his/her shoes (i.e., not crossed in the fashion you see on talk shows, but the other way closer to a right angle)?

Why is it a joke ?

Would you also blame the restaurant if the person sitting at the table across from you was chewing with their mouth open and food falling out? By chance did you bother to politely ask the woman to move her foot? I guess the reason I thought that this might be some horrible attempt at jest is that you found it abusive to have to look at someone's sole.

I was aware that displying the soles of your shoes is considered rude in Arab cultures, but was not aware of similar opprobrium attached to such behavior here in the states. Annoying, yes; but I am not sure I would write off a restaurant based on this one incident. Would you have been similarly outraged if seated next to someone who sat with legs crossed to reveal the soles of his/her shoes (i.e., not crosssed in the fashion you see on talk shows, but the other way closer to a right angle)?

First, I am not Arab.

Second, I would be annoyed but not outraged if the legs were crossed. The leg was straight on the bench almost touching our table. We were wondering if there is anything wrong with her leg !

Would you also blame the restaurant if the person sitting at the table across from you was chewing with their mouth open and food falling out? By chance did you bother to politely ask the woman to move her foot? I guess the reason I thought that this might be some horrible attempt at jest is that you found it abusive to have to look at someone's sole.

There is a difference. There is an invisible border between her table and mine and crossing that border with your dirty sole up is different than staying within your table and chew with the mouth open or talking loud. I think there is a different between showing it and pushing it !

Anyway, we were seated next to 3 older ladies in the bench section and one of the ladies sitting by herself in the bench had like 3 coats on the bench and she was sort of almost laying on the bench with her leg stretching out to almost to my table with her sole prominently displayed.

you should have imagined that lady in her twenties with a mini skirt on

this entire topic is just disappointing.

There is a difference. There is an invisible border between her table and mine and crossing that border with your dirty sole up is different than staying within your table and chew with the mouth open or talking loud. I think there is a different between showing it and pushing it !

Again, did you make any attempt to ask her to stop? If you had, and been informed that she had a leg problem would that have changed your take on the situation?

I agree that having someone intrude upon your personal space is annoying but I'm not sure that any restaurant would've done anything to rectify the situation. I think if this situation happens, you're just hosed. It's kind of like getting stuck next to a fat person on the plane (few airlines will require that person to buy 2 seats).

The leg was straight on the bench almost touching our table. We were wondering if there is anything wrong with her leg !

Maybe there was something wrong with her leg.

I can see being annoyed with it, but there's not too much the restaurant can do for something like that. Alienating her party means they might not come back.

Again, did you make any attempt to ask her to stop? If you had, and been informed that she had a leg problem would that have changed your take on the situation?

No, I thought I ask the manager. Yes, it would. No, she did not have a leg problem as evident by her moving about. She was sitting in the bench big enough for 2 persons and she was almost laying on it. The only thing I was hoping for was that the manager offered to take the coats away.

I agree that having someone intrude upon your personal space is annoying but I'm not sure that any restaurant would've done anything to rectify the situation. I think if this situation happens, you're just hosed. It's kind of like getting stuck next to a fat person on the plane (few airlines will require that person to buy 2 seats).

Agree!. I would not complaint sitting next to a bigger person on an airplane and believe me, I put up with more than my share. I would if that person lean over and breath down my neck and that is what I think this situation is.

Agree!. I would not complaint sitting next to a bigger person on an airplane and believe me, I put up with more than my share. I would if that person lean over and breath down my neck and that is what I think this situation is.

As soon as someone has their feet where people sit, in a place where people are eating, it's time for management to ask them to remove said foot. If the manager preferred not to ask the woman (for whatever reason-it's understandable, maybe she had asked if it was okay for her to put her foot up there in the first place), he should have offered to re-seat the other party. And he should have apologized or at least explained the reason why it was okay for someone to have their feet up in a restaurant, right next to another customer. And if my meal is ruined by management's actions, or lack thereof, then I may not return.

No, I thought I ask the manager. Yes, it would. No, she did not have a leg problem as evident by her moving about. She was sitting in the bench big enough for 2 persons and she was almost laying on it. The only thing I was hoping for was that the manager offered to take the coats away.

For whatever it's worth, it's quite possible to have a painful leg injury, and still be able to walk and move about without an apparent limp. My take on this is that there probably was a medical condition involved that required elevation. It would have been nice if the lady had mentioned that to you, but sometimes people are embarrassed about these things.

This is a tough, tough situation for restaurant management to be in, and one that should have perhaps been resolved at the customer level. At the same time, you explicitly state here that you'd change your opinion if the lady had been injured. You're a good person. BlackSalt's a good restaurant. We're all happy. :angry:

---

[i will probably split all of these posts off into a separate topic in the News and Media forum (because it's such a bizarre incident that it has a life of its own, and it would disproportionately penalize BlackSalt (*) to remain in this thread). But I don't want to stifle conversation either - go ahead and continue the discussion, but please be respectful of each other and remember, no personal attacks.

(*) if someone Googles "dirty sole" and BlackSalt - known for having the freshest, cleanest fish - comes up numero uno, I'd feel it was my fault.

Cheers, Rocks.]

Same dirty sole, same distance from your table, I am not sure why it would matter whether there was an issue with her leg or not. Either way, unless you are looking to be offended, such things are easily ignored.

According to your logic, there should be no first and second degree crime because either way, the same crime was committed. To me the difference is whether the event is beyond a person ability to control. I am not looking to be offended and usually just ignore these sort of things. I didn't expect the manager to do much beyond dropping a hint like "Can we take your coats".

According to your logic, there should be no first and second degree crime because either way, the same crime was committed. To me the difference is whether the event is beyond a person ability to control.

You are the one that called looking at a dirty sole abusive and you are questioning my logic?

But to my point about asking the difference, I am the one that said it is not hard to ignore it, but if you think that looking at a dirty sole is abusive it is that way no matter the reason, now if it were merely distasteful well that might open to some degree of flexibility, but I am not aware of any first or second degree of abuse.