Cheap-ass Steak

Waitman

I'm not saying that it's as good as the dry-aged at Whole Foods, the beef we haul back from Oliver's in Denver or what Landrum will put on a plate for you. I am saying that for $9.99 a pound, the prime New York Strips at Balducci's are well worth devoting a bit of your Sunday afternoon to. Sale ends today, I believe.

I'm not saying that it's as good as the dry-aged at Whole Foods, the beef we haul back from Oliver's in Denver or what Landrum will put on a plate for you. I am saying that for $9.99 a pound, the prime New York Strips at Balducci's are well worth devoting a bit of your Sunday afternoon to. Sale ends today, I believe.

Same steaks at same price yesterday. Don't know if it was an in-store or advertised special. Add in a 10% off coupon, and one of our $5 frequent customer rebate checks, and we got 1.5 lbs of prime strip for $8.50.

Stopped by Balducci's today at lunchtime and they are advertising the following:

USDA Prime NY Strip Steak - $9.99/lb (Regularly $25.99/lb)

Wagyu Kobe Beef NY Strip Steak - $15.99/lb (Regularly $45.99/lb)

Has anyone ever tried the wagyu from here? Is it worth the price?

Prices are good from 5/20 to 5/25. Also, there is a $5 off $25 purchase in the Post today.

Stopped by Balducci's today at lunchtime and they are advertising the following:

USDA Prime NY Strip Steak - $9.99/lb (Regularly $25.99/lb)

Wagyu Kobe Beef NY Strip Steak - $15.99/lb (Regularly $45.99/lb)

Has anyone ever tried the wagyu from here? Is it worth the price?

Prices are good from 5/20 to 5/25. Also, there is a $5 off $25 purchase in the Post today.

That's better than the $10 off $50 purchase at WF this weekend. I went to Balducci's website and they don't mention the specials you noted as they are only showing a date range of 05/18 to 05/24 so I guess I'll have to go to the store to check it out. The only cut of meat shown is an "all natural Denver Steak @ $6.99/lb, regularly $8.99/lb. There's also ground beef, baby back ribs, and D'Artagnan Beef, Pork, Duck and Buffalo Hot Dogs. Has anyone ever tried the duck or buffalo dogs?

<snip>

Found the coupon on page 2 of today's Style section and, even better, it is for $5 off a $20 purchase! We were going to buy steaks for a graduation dinner we're preparing for my niece, but she changed her mind and now wants Chicken Kiev. :D Time to go searching the cookbooks...

I didn't have as much char as bioesq, but it was a tasty medium-rare, very tender and good beefy flavor; topped with a little blue cheese. For ~$8 (12 oz steak), I thought it was a great buy. I'll definitely be back for more at that price, and will look to impress some friends as well. At the non-sale price of $25/lb, I couldn't afford to invite anyone over.

Great deals on Wagyu this week:

Ground Beef $4.99/lb

Beef Patties $4.99/lb

Top Round Steak $9.99/lb

Top Sirloin Steak $9.99/lb

New York Strip $15.99/lb

Boneless Ribeye Steak $15.99/lb

Tenderloin Steak $25.99/lb

I bought a beautiful NY Strip yesterday but have yet to cook it. I've never actually cooked Wagyu myself. Any suggestions? Should I just cook it the same way I would any other steak?

Great deals on Wagyu this week:

Ground Beef $4.99/lb

Beef Patties $4.99/lb

Top Round Steak $9.99/lb

Top Sirloin Steak $9.99/lb

New York Strip $15.99/lb

Boneless Ribeye Steak $15.99/lb

Tenderloin Steak $25.99/lb

I bought a beautiful NY Strip yesterday but have yet to cook it. I've never actually cooked Wagyu myself. Any suggestions? Should I just cook it the same way I would any other steak?

Where'd you get these? Waitman went by the NM Ave. Balducci's on Sunday and they were removing fixtures.

Big sale at Balducci's yesterday, today, and tomorrow: Wagyu boneless ribeye & NY strip steaks, $15.99/lb. Filets are $19.99, I think (Bill took the ad). "While supplies last." I got mine.

Plenty of stock at the McLean store this morning at about ~10:30 so I picked up a beautiful strip which I grilled tonight. It gave me something to do while giving a wife a break from the little ones and later a helluva dinner.

As for the earlier question regarding how to cook Wagyu, here's what I did with my 20 ouncer.

Built a hot charcoal fire with all coals on one half of the grill.

A half hour or so on the counter at room temperature.

Nothing more than coarse salt and pepper rubbed on.

Seared two minutes per side over the coals then rotated the grill grate to the cool side and covered for 3.

Rested for a few minutes.

Basically not much different than any other steak but making sure to err heavily on the rare side though I did notice much more fat melting to the fire causing some pretty awesome flareups. Very happy with the results and I wouldn't pay $45/lb for it but at these prices it felt like a steal.

Plenty of stock at the McLean store this morning at about ~10:30 so I picked up a beautiful strip which I grilled tonight. It gave me something to do while giving a wife a break from the little ones and later a helluva dinner.

As for the earlier question regarding how to cook Wagyu, here's what I did with my 20 ouncer.

Built a hot charcoal fire with all coals on one half of the grill.

A half hour or so on the counter at room temperature.

Nothing more than coarse salt and pepper rubbed on.

Seared two minutes per side over the coals then rotated the grill grate to the cool side and covered for 3.

Rested for a few minutes.

Basically not much different than any other steak but making sure to err heavily on the rare side though I did notice much more fat melting to the fire causing some pretty awesome flareups. Very happy with the results and I wouldn't pay $45/lb for it but at these prices it felt like a steal.

We made a crazy meal from these. They were awesome!!!!