Fresh Ginger

Andelman

Does anyone know where I can get some really good quality fresh ginger (preferably organic)? We are doing some ginger based chocolates (with cherry) for the Cherry Blossom festival, and most of the stuff you find in the stores in pretty poor quality. We don't need a whole heck of a lot, but the quality is of the utmost importance. Thanks in advance.

At the Dupont market, Heinz at Next Step Produce carries fresh ginger. I don't know if it's in season now, and I believe he's still at Dupont every other Sunday.

Paging Anna Blume....

That would be great. Anything local is better. I will try and contact him directly. Thanks for the info.

That would be great. Anything local is better. I will try and contact him directly. Thanks for the info.
No, it won't be in season again for quite some time. You'll get fresh, ripe tomatoes first.

Type grown is Thai, I believe. Someone else will have to pipe up on that one.

No, it won't be in season again for quite some time. You'll get fresh, ripe tomatoes first.

Type grown is Thai, I believe. Someone else will have to pipe up on that one.

That's what I thought, but wanted to put it out there. I *think* I saw the ginger in January. Thanks for clarifying.

Every once in a while at the Shopper's food warehouse in potomac yards they get gorgeous new ginger--so little skin on it it's a pearly cream tinged with pink, extremely juicy and very little fiber. I've only seen it a couple of times, but if you're in the area it might be worth a look. Otherwise, i second the reccomendation to look in asian and indian stores.

Also, i wonder--sometimes you get ginger with little sprouting bulbs on it, and these are extremely tender. and i have accidentally sprouted ginger by leaving it in a plastic bag in the fridge for 2 weeks, and i'd imagine it'd sprout faster if you left them at room temp. in any case, i wonder if those little bulbs might be good for you?

Every once in a while at the Shopper's food warehouse in potomac yards they get gorgeous new ginger--so little skin on it it's a pearly cream tinged with pink, extremely juicy and very little fiber. I've only seen it a couple of times, but if you're in the area it might be worth a look.

:rolleyes: I can practically walk to that store, and now I have another reason to shop there. I've been wanting some young ginger for pickling, so if anyone sees it, I would love a heads up.