Zoofari 2013 - Who Made The (Espresso-?) Crusted Tuna Lollipop?

Choirgirl21

If anyone was there and had what I'm talking about, could you let me know which restuarant served it? It was a small piece of tuna, I believe crusted in espresso, on a skewer or as a lollipop of some sort, perhaps with a dollop of cream on top. Thanks!

If anyone was there and had what I'm talking about, could you let me know which restuarant served it? It was a small piece of tuna, I believe crusted in espresso, on a skewer or as a lollipop of some sort, perhaps with a dollop of cream on top. Thanks!

I might have missed that one, but the tuna in the ice cream cone shaped thingy from Source was amazing. As was the champagne from the booth next to it!

I might have missed that one, but the tuna in the ice cream cone shaped thingy from Source was amazing. As was the champagne from the booth next to it!

I know! It was BY FAR our favorite thing at the entire event (and trust me, we tried nearly everything wink.gif ). Good enough to actually cause me to contemplate dropping a huge amount of cash to eat there. They serve it on their menu fyi.

Anyone else there this year?

I felt like there were less of the high quality restaurants than normal, but I still managed to find a few things that I absolutely loved. My favorites were the cucumber gazpacho from Rogue 24 (my overall winner and they actually had recipe cards so I'll be able to make it myself at some point), the pea pannacotta with a serrano ham cream of some sort, black truffle and croutons from Plume, and the pork belly with pickled vegetables from Proof/Estadio that reminded me of a breadless banh mi. The she-crab soup from (I think) Central was also delicious and I enjoyed the dessert (my only dessert of the night) from Hill Country.

Also, the watermelon vodka drink with pickled watermelon rind, SO good! I think that was from Jackson 20, along with a lamb dish that my friend really liked (I don't like lamb sadly so didn't try it).

I still continue to shake my head at some of the choices people make when choosing what to serve at an event like this from totally flavorless food to "finger foods" that are ridiculously messy to dishes that should only be served freshly cooked but instead were cooked before transport. One happy accident - gazpacho is so last year, and pork belly is now in. :)

I was there. My stomach was a little upset from a lunch I ate earlier, so I was a bit selective. The she crab soup was from Majestic (I didn't eat it, but I remember their twitter post), Central did tuna and beet tartare. I really liked the lamb pie from Jackson 20. I also liked Dino's boar ragu and that Perry's had sushi. I really liked that dish from Plume. I thought a lot of people ended up with similar things this year. We didn't eat as much or spend as much time as we did last year, but we also didn't do the VIP this year. There were so many pork belly bites this year I can't remember one from the other. I did like the crostini from the new grilling meat restaurant can't remember the name.

I really wanted to like Redwood's doughnut, but the flavors just were a bit off. Some of the really long lines were a bit puzzling and some places that should have had a long line didn't. Can't remember all the things I tasted, but lots of good stuff. A big kudos to Bastille and Matchbox for having salads, a little green stuff was nice. The number of people that asked me where I got my gtown cupcake from was astounding.

Thank you for clarifying that it was The Majestic! And yes, I remember Central's dish now. Good, but I though the tuna got lost. I was also happy to just eat the mushrooms from Dino - I skipped the polenta. :P

I'm with you on the lines, sometimes it's hard to understand what people are thinking. I also don't get when places like BLT Steak choose to serve a beverage. How is that supposed to showcase what you do?

Another one I forgot to mention, the grilled oysters with chili sauce. I can't remember who does them, but I am happy to eat them each year. :)

Do you remember what Chef Geoff's dish was? I remember Lia's had a porchetta sandwich with slaw that I really wanted to love, but found completely bland, but I think I liked the Chef Geoff's dish, which is odd since it's the same people.

Is the thread to complain about Gtown cupcakes letting people take 4 at a time and running out in an hour? Two years in a row. I don't even care about stupid cupcakes but it's still annoying.

I got one coconut cupcake, I have ordered their normal coconut cupcake and have liked it. This one had cream cheese frosting and was really terrible. I threw it away after one bite and felt guilty because everyone kept asking me where the gtown cupcake booth was located.