Netbooks For Surfing dr.com

thistle

I couldn't figure out where to put this query-I want to get a small netbook, mostly for email & online reading-does anyone have one that they can recommend? The 2 models that I'm looking at are the Asus EEE 1000HE & the MSI Wind U100-432. Any & all comments welcomed...

I just got a MSI-Wind U-120 a couple of months ago from Microcenter. It's not my main computer so I haven't used it a ton since I got it. I'm generally happy with it and primarily like its portability. It also runs Microsoft XP which was what my old computer had so I'm used to it, while my new HP has Vista. When I view donrockwell.com on the netbook, there is a good amount of scrolling involved with reading down the whole page of a thread. One thing that I don't like is that the mouse pad is touch sensitive so when you tap your finger even slightly on it, it'll act as if you clicked the button. But my new HP laptop does that too so maybe that's the thing these days. I was able to quickly figure out how to disable it on my regular HP laptop, but I haven't found it on the netbook. It was an impulse buy so I hadn't done any research.

I couldn't figure out where to put this query-I want to get a small netbook, mostly for email & online reading-does anyone have one that they can recommend? The 2 models that I'm looking at are the Asus EEE 1000HE & the MSI Wind U100-432. Any & all comments welcomed...

We looked at the Asus EEE 1000HE and saw lots of praise for it. In the end we ended up getting the Asus EEE PC 900 because it was less money and my husband only needed it run some cycling software that doesn't run on our Macs.

Yes, I just need something basic, so the kids can kick me off the main computer (Dell w/WVista), & I can relax in bed or a comfy chair, & read my favorite sites. I'm hoping to do some traveling this summer, so something where the wifi has no problems would be a plus...I thought an Ipod touch would do it for me, UNTIL I saw the size of the screen...

Yes, I just need something basic, so the kids can kick me off the main computer (Dell w/WVista), & I can relax in bed or a comfy chair, & read my favorite sites. I'm hoping to do some traveling this summer, so something where the wifi has no problems would be a plus...I thought an Ipod touch would do it for me, UNTIL I saw the size of the screen...

Look at the Acer models, also. They get good reviews and are priced well at Office Depot and CompUSA. Under $300.

OK, I went w/ the Asus EEE 1000HE, w/ a 2g upgrade. I'll let you guys know how it performs when I receive it (not that I don't like viewing this site on the humonguous desktop screen, but the idea of lying in bed, web-surfing, is so tempting & decadent)....

Well, it's been only 2 days w/my new netbook (Asus EEE 1000HE) & I love it! I can't get over how fast I set it up, basically charge & go-screen is a good size for me, wireless is excellent, the only problem is that my kids are trying to wrestle it away from me & begging for one of their own-my daughter has some bday money, so I may chip in a little & get her the 900HA-basically the same specs w/ a slightly smaller screen. Early days, but definitely one of my better purchases...

I have spent a ton of time researching netbooks. I got a Dell Mini 12 a few weeks ago for $325 and it has been great. That being said, i'd recommend the Samsung NC10 or NC20 - most of the people at work have one of those two and they are the best. Only got the mini 12 because of the price.

Does anyone have an HP netbook? Am considering a few HP models (not the one with the smallest screen) along with some Assus and Acer models too. Any feedback or advice would be appreciated!

Bueller, Bueller, anyone? My Dell laptop is on its last leg, so I may be getting a netbook sooner, rather than later. If anyone has an HP or other model (not Dell!) that they've had good experiences with, I'd love to hear from you. Thanks!