Happy Hour near Natural History Museum

DanCole42

Because scientists need to retox after spending all day explaining dinosaur bones to the school kids from Kentucky...

Recommendations?

Obviously nothing south of Constitution (i.e. don't set foot into Aria).

Central is your best bet in the immediate vicinity, followed by Elephant and Castle (for beer, perhaps Scotch), Ten Penh (for white wine), and if you're really strapped for cash, Harry's.

If you don't mind heading northwest, The Willard and W hotels open up your options nicely (Round Robin, Cafe du Parc, POV Lounge, etc.)

I was just at d'Acqua a few nights ago, and would recommend Mo's bar at 701 as the better choice for the "more grizzled" drinker. Cafe Atlantico is right behind them (walk right through the center of the Navy Memorial), and that opens up the entire Penn Quarter, although you'll soon be pushing a half-mile from your origin.

You'll notice I've avoided mentioning 10th. Street - Bistro d'Oc is dreary feeling, Hard Rock Cafe is for the birds, and CoCo Sala is Thumpville. There are others I haven't mentioned as well - the universe of options (though tending towards the expensive and touristy) run the entire gamut with the exception of young grunge.

As a last resort, perhaps you could check with our new Help Needed forum host? But I fear that would be somewhat masturbatorial in nature. :(

Cheers,

Rocks.

If you are looking for a happy hour with happy hour prices, Chef Geof isn't far and I think still does a variety of discounts including super mugs of beer, half-priced burgers, and something like half-priced pizza nightly. I used to go there for happy hour all the time, though I think it may have gotten more crowded with louder happy hour types in recent years. Nothing extraordinary on the beer list or from the kitchen, but it is certainly a step above $2 miller lights and 10 cent wings.

If you don't mind heading northwest, The Willard and W hotels open up your options nicely (Round Robin, Cafe du Parc, POV Lounge, etc.)

I was going to say the same thing about the hotels, but I wasn't sure what your distance range was.

There's also the bar at Oyamel, which is basically within the same radius as Cafe Atlantico (...duh) -- I think that fits Rocks' "opening up the whole Penn Quarter" comment.

As a last resort, perhaps you could check with our new Help Needed forum host? But I fear that would be somewhat masturbatorial in nature. :(

[it's a good thing you already know I need a lot of help.]

If you are looking for a happy hour with happy hour prices, Chef Geof isn't far and I think still does a variety of discounts including super mugs of beer, half-priced burgers, and something like half-priced pizza nightly. I used to go there for happy hour all the time, though I think it may have gotten more crowded with louder happy hour types in recent years. Nothing extraordinary on the beer list or from the kitchen, but it is certainly a step above $2 miller lights and 10 cent wings.

Chef Geoff has great happy hour specials, but it has been removed from our list of options because not only can you no longer find a place to sit after 4pm, you're often hard pressed to even find a place to stand.

Blue Point has become our new spot. It's nothing exceptional, but it has decent specials, friendly staff, and you can often find enough space in the bar area for a gang of folks.

I also second Cafe du Parc and the Round Robin.