Connaught Place, Fairfax - Becomes The Naught Place

My favorite Indian restaurant, The Connaught Place in Fairfax, is closing this week. I am bereft. We've been dining there for something like eight years, about three times a month. As regulars we get outstanding service, and the food is always just right. The thought of spending years building that rapport again is distressing. The thought of never having Connaught's paneer mahkni again is... I can't bear it. And who else serves rasmalai?

Help! I'm going to need a new Indian (and not vegetarian) place to get my fix. Which are your favorites? And what makes them your favorites? Obviously I'm looking for good food, but would also like to find something not too expensive, not too inaccesible, and something where I can settle in and feel at home (hell of a wish list, huh?).

Just to get things rolling...

Bombay Bistro (Rockville): was the standard for about five years before we switched allegiance; last few times I went it seems to have gotten a bit mundane; besides they took my favorite (beef badam pasanda, I think it was called) off the menu

Heritage India (Glover Park): only went once, but was very impressed; top of my re-try list

Bombay Club (Downtown): fantastic, but too pricey/inaccessible for weekly chowing

Madras Palace (Gaithersburg): too limiting; I need meat sometimes; I prefer Northern to Southern anyway

Tandoori Nights (Gaithersburg): surprisingly good, but... the nouveau thing bugs me

Nirvana (DC): the worst dining experience of my life (need to post that story to the 'never again' thread); you couldn't offer me a year of dinners at Eve or Palena or Maestro to go there again

Memsahib (Rockville): I love it but for a different type of occasion

Cafe Spice (Gaithersburg): bo-ring

Flavors (Gaithersburg): only been once; it has potential; they have goat :lol:

Indique (Cleveland Park): only been once; not impressed

...any ideas, folks?

I happen to know the owner of Connaught Place, but did not know it was closing. The same people also operate Raaga in Falls Church and the newly opened Infusion in Tysons Corner. Raaga is a traditional Indian place. I've only been once but thought it was excellent. We had a lunch buffet -- but I couldn't tell you what was on it.

Infusion is, as the name suggests, "fusion." It is way more Indian than anything else though. Again, I've only been once, and I couldn't say what I had, but I remember liking it.

My wife just made an exclamation and we agreed that we're going to have to hit the Place this week, before it's gone.

In addition to Heritage India and Indique, which I like, I am a fan of Minerva in Herndon (haven't been to the one in Fairfax). I've also heard good things about bbhasin's Bombay Curry Company in Alexandria / Del Ray.

Edited to add - My only time at Passage to India was at the eGullet Indian street food dinner last summer and it was excellent and I'd recommend it off of that alone.

Edited by bilrus

In addition to Heritage India and Indique, which I like, I am a fan of Minerva in Herndon (haven't been to the one in Fairfax).  I've also heard good things about bbhasin's Bombay Curry Company in Alexandria / Del Ray.

Edited to add - My only time at Passage to India was at the eGullet Indian street food dinner last summer and it was excellent and I'd recommend it off of that alone.

I would say that I second Bombay Curry Company, but it does not appear that Bilrus has actually been there. I love the place, and wholeheartedly recommend it. Either this Sunday or next the wife and I are going to check it out for brunch.

Heritage India is consistantly outstanding, probably the best in the area. The only drawback is the sometimes impersonal service--I can't imagine ever feeling like a "regular", as I do at Passage to India in Bethesda. The chef at the latter was, I believe, the original chef at Heritage. Passage to India also has one of the more unique menus in the area, featuring dishes from four different regions of India. You can't go wrong there.

It's the only place I know of in metro DC that serves a Parsi lamb stew made with dried apricots and other spices. Sweet and intense, it's a dish to share.

Minerva is also exellent--maybe the most "authentic" Indian place around. Indique is also very good, but not quite up to the two above, IMO.

And for a hidden treasure, try India Grill in Rockville. It's been around for years and recently moved to the Ritchie Plaza, just south of downtown on the Pike. They serve a good buffet and, IMO, are especially adept at some of the veggie dishes.

Edited by JeffC

And for a hidden treasure, try India Grill in Rockville.  It's been around for years and recently moved to the Ritchie Plaza, just south of downtown on the Pike.  They serve a good buffet and, IMO, are especially adept at some of the veggie dishes.

Agreed on the veggie dishes. Bombay Bistro does a better job with meats.

I'm in the group that likes Indique and thinks Heritage India has great food (and occasionally cold service). Isn't there a Heritage India VA location now?

Curry Club isn't far from my house, but I haven't made it there for a meal yet. I'm interested in trying Passage to India based on the wonderful reviews the dinner Monica Bhide organized there garnered.

I did not enjoy my one meal at Delhi Club, however I don't feel that it's fair to judge a place based on only one visit so I guess a return is in order.