Offal in Bethesda, Rockville, Gathersburg

winger1930

So my wife is going out of town this weekend, and most guys at this point will call up their buddies and invite them over to watch the Flyers try to win at least ONE game against Boston. I, unfortunately, have a ton of work to do tonight, so I'm going to order every type of food that my wife won't eat. I'm looking for some can't miss take-out offal between my office (Bethesda) and home (Gaithersburg). I'm thinking of the beef and tendon at Sichuan Pavilion, but I've already had it...so I'm trying to branch out a bit. Any ideas are appreciated.

I just have to make sure that I clean out the leftovers before my wife gets back home so my fridge doesn't stink!

-Paul

I would think the Intestines with cumin would be very much lake a "part is part" order of General Guan's which would be a good thing indeed. I have had pork tripe with celery and pickled peppers and even wimpy Kay liked it. They had a recent special of pork blood, tripe, intestines, chicken feet stuff, other stuff in a fiery red sauce in hot pot that brought tears of joy when we non Chinese saw some other table order it and demanded it ourselves {after he usual horrified looks when they told us the list of ingredients}. Kay liked it so much that it really isn't fair to call her wimpy any more {and I am not sure she reads the board so maybe I will get away with it}. Pig ears, and pork tripe with hot peppers and peppercorns {2 separate dishes} both are both wonderful. Beef tripe with pickled sour cabbage soup was also a major winner but itis a gentle dish without a lot of fire. Not that that is always a bad thing.

beef and tendon noodle soup, and don't know if this counts as offal but we also have spicy pig ears.

Is that soup with an anise flavored broth? If so I must go back to have it as it is great stuff. If not, then I don't think I have had it. The pig's ears are good enough to get someone formerly known as wimpy to try them and fall in love with them.

And may I throw in a shamless but off topic plug for the Sichuan pickle and pork soup with the wide noodle? It is one of the great funky tastes in the area! It is my I don't feel good, I need comfort food meals.

I would think the Intestines with cumin would be very much lake a "part is part" order of General Guan's which would be a good thing indeed. I have had pork tripe with celery and pickled peppers and even wimpy Kay liked it. They had a recent special of pork blood, tripe, intestines, chicken feet stuff, other stuff in a fiery red sauce in hot pot that brought tears of joy when we non Chinese saw some other table order it and demanded it ourselves {after he usual horrified looks when they told us the list of ingredients}. Kay liked it so much that it really isn't fair to call her wimpy any more {and I am not sure she reads the board so maybe I will get away with it}. Pig ears, and pork tripe with hot peppers and peppercorns {2 separate dishes} both are both wonderful. Beef tripe with pickled sour cabbage soup was also a major winner but itis a gentle dish without a lot of fire. Not that that is always a bad thing.

Is this at Joe's or Sichuan Pavilion? I think my wife will be glad she went out of town with all this spicy food in the house and how I'll be effected tomorrow morning....

Is that soup with an anise flavored broth? If so I must go back to have it as it is great stuff. If not, then I don't think I have had it. The pig's ears are good enough to get someone formerly known as wimpy to try them and fall in love with them.

And may I throw in a shamless but off topic plug for the Sichuan pickle and pork soup with the wide noodle? It is one of the great funky tastes in the area! It is my I don't feel good, I need comfort food meals.

Dean- it's the same broth as the beef noodle soup, pretty strong anise flavor so probably the one you've had before just with tendon added :lol:

Thanks everyone for the recs! I ended up at Sichuan Pavilion last night, and it was glorious. I was expecting a long wait for takeout, but when I arrived there, the place was only half full. Granted, it was 8:30pm but it was Friday, and I figured it'd be packed. Everything was great - here's the run down:

Pork Liver and Kidney in Garlic sauce - From the specials on the website. Thick slices of liver with smaller chunks of kidney in a spicy sauce, but not too spicy. A bit numbing. Only downside was that the sauce was a little watery, probably from sitting too long (there was a difference of 1 hour between when I ordered and when I picked it up - all my fault).

Beef jerky - Based on rave reviews, I got it, and I get it. A ton of jerky too for $4.95 (I think). Could not stop eating it!

Spicy chicken gizzards - Funny story. I was so hungry in the car ride home that I took out what I THOUGHT was the beef jerky. Started munching on this, and ate most of it before I got home. When I opened up the bag, I clearly saw that this was NOT the beef jerky. What got me is that these gizzards were sliced thin, so they "felt" like beef jerky. Either way, they were really good.

Pork intestines with peppercorns and peppers - Really good and spicy. Not chewy at all, and nice long cross cut strips of intestine.

From someone who doesn't get to each much offal, I have to say all of these dishes tasted remarkably clean. I guess I was expecting to eat all these things, and eventually get tired of them because they'd have "muddy" flavors. But they were all very mild, just a hint of barnyard (of course in a good way), and I'm going back for seconds, thirds, fourths...might even give some to my wife! All this for $29, and I'd say it was enough to feed at least 3 people.

While I don't post that often here, this is exactly why this is a great board. I trust all your opinions much more than sifting through a billion reviews from Yelp or Chow, and all your recs were spot on. Can't ask for much more....thanks again!

-Paul

this is exactly why this is a great board. I trust all your opinions much more than sifting through a billion reviews from Yelp or Chow, and all your recs were spot on.

Give that man a cigar...

While I don't post that often here

And take it back. :lol:

The board got this good because everyone contributes!

Go to Maxim Supermarket in Rockville, MD. When you enter, turn to your left and you'll see a prepared foods section where the Cantonese roasted meats are along with several steam tables worth of food. There is also a cold foods section but your best bet is to walk past the steam table directly to the cooler lining the wall. There you'll find prepared offal: fu qi fei pian, or “husband and wife” slices of offal: tripe, tendon and tongue, pig's ears and beef tendon in chile oil.

FYI: They also make a dish of jellyfish in ginger scallion oil and one of fried whiting with jalapeno and peanuts. Let the jellyfish come to room temp while you reheat the whiting dish. What I usually do - and yes, it's tedious as hell - is pick out the jalapenos and put them aside. Place the whiting and the peanuts on a foil lined tray and pop them in a toaster oven that's been preheated to 350. Keep an eye on it while it heats up. When it's done to your liking, about 5-7 minutes, remove and mix with the jalapenos. Serve with beer.

Note: All these dish are found in the pre-pack section of the cooler lining the wall next to the steam tables.

The board got this good because everyone contributes!

Rightfully called out.... :lol:

I can't take and take without giving some back!

Go to Maxim Supermarket in Rockville, MD. When you enter, turn to your left and you'll see a prepared foods section where the Cantonese roasted meats are along with several steam tables worth of food. There is also a cold foods section but your best bet is to walk past the steam table directly to the cooler lining the wall. There you'll find prepared offal: fu qi fei pian, or “husband and wife” slices of offal: tripe, tendon and tongue, pig's ears and beef tendon in chile oil.

I totally forgot about this! Waaay back when I lived in DC, I would take the metro up to Maxim to do my grocery shopping. Once I moved out to the 'burbs, I ended up going to the big Korean stores by me, and forgot about all the prepared foods at Maxim. I'll have to go over there again soon - I remember their food being really inexpensive and pretty good. I know my dad was a fan whenever he came to visit.

I usually remember the prepared foods counter at Maxim when I am in a food coma with a bag of leftovers from SP burning a hole int he front seat of my car. I really do need to go there one time just for trying some of the incredible looking food including those huge hunks of pork belly and some offal stew with {I think} hard boiled eggs.