Italian near Georgetown or Foggy Bottom

gnatharobed

My father loves Italian food and I want to take him some place he's never been before. Near Georgetown I thought of Cafe Milano but I'm not looking for a rich old 'boyfriend'- just some good Italian food. Primi Piatti seems promising. We could care less about atmosphere etc. Any suggestions? Thanks!

'

My father loves Italian food and I want to take him some place he's never been before. Near Georgetown I thought of Cafe Milano but I'm not looking for a rich old 'boyfriend'- just some good Italian food. Primi Piatti seems promising. We could care less about atmosphere etc. Any suggestions? Thanks!

'

I haven't been, but Il Canale seems to get mostly good reviews.

I haven't been, but Il Canale seems to get mostly good reviews.

I've been to Il Canale a couple of times, and it's pretty good. I've had the pizza, gnocchi, proscuitto and melon appetizer, spinach salad, and cannoli. I especialy enjoyed the proscuitto and melon dish and spinach salad. As for the pizza, it was excellent the first time I was there, but the other day, my friend got a white pizza, and the dough was on the chewy side, and not very crisp. Also, I liked the atmosphere better at lunchtime compared with dinner. The place is very noisy on weekends (dinner), but I found lunchtime on the rooptop terrace to be really very pleasant.

As for Primi Piati, I haven't been lately, so am not sure how it is these days. Filomena in Georgetown is OK. I also love the gnocchi at Al Tiramisu (in Dupont, not far from Georgetown), but the service there can be an issue.

Thanks for all the advice. Ended up at Primi Piatti which was surprisingly crowded. I figured this place has been around forever and had just faded into the background. Dad had the lamb shank. He enjoyed it- falling off the bone tender, huge portion. Agnolotti for me- nice home made pasta, good spinach flavor. My mom had the lasagnette. This dish was too rich for me. Desserts were nothing extraordinary.