Bar or Lounge near Farragut or McPherson

porcupine

to kill about an hour, in the vicinity of Farragut West and McPherson Square Metro stops. Looking more for a place to read a book or do some surreptitious people watching, as I can't really drink these days. Bonus for a place that can make a not-too-girlie virgin cocktail.

to kill about an hour, in the vicinity of Farragut West and McPherson Square Metro stops. Looking more for a place to read a book or do some surreptitious people watching, as I can't really drink these days. Bonus for a place that can make a not-too-girlie virgin cocktail.

Off The Record at the Hay-Adams would be one choice.

Potenza bakery. Can get some average to good beignets with raspberry dip and a cup of coffee (or lemonade), sit, read or people watch. McPherson Square.

Or Borders at 18th and L. At 18th & I are Pret a Manger (not really good sitting area) and Starbucks.

Teaism at Lafayette Sq, but that closes at 3pm. The bar area at The Oval Room is nice, but not sure about virgin drinks.

Le Bar at Soffitel, but I've not been there before.

Thanks for all the recommendations (especially the warning about Teaism, which was the backup plan). The Hay Adams is under construction, and so Off the Record is closed until October. I ended up at the bar at The Oval Room, where the new bartender told me he loves to make virgin cocktails. He concocted something with Fever Tree ginger ale, ginger syrup, pineapple juice, orange juice, and peach bitters (I think) that was not too sweet and had a nice bite.

There is a bar that used to be called Karma (can't recall new name) on I and either 19th or 20th. Gets alot of World Bankers, has an outdoor patio.

If it's the place I'm thinking about, it's now a golf-themed bar. Not sure if it's the same ownership as Karma, but the old incarnation was terrible.

If it's the place I'm thinking about, it's now a golf-themed bar. Not sure if it's the same ownership as Karma, but the old incarnation was terrible.

It was called Skye Lounge. Apparently it closed, and was pretty cheesy in its waning moments. A couple years ago, I had a decent, docile time on their outdoor patio at the Happy Hour. Not saying I'd seek it out, but just trying to brainstorm for porcupine. Really, I'd try either the Tabard Inn or perhaps the W (although I've been getting bounced at the door lately and have lost faith) if I had been in that area. Obviously a hike either way.

I will say that Karma had the best espresso cups I've ever seen. The Fondazione Pistoletto edition, I believe, of illy's art collection. Too bad the actual espresso didn't live up to the same standards.