Show Me The Light

KMango

An elderly couple, friends of mine, were lamenting their inability to read restaurant menus and enjoy their entrees in dimly lit environments. I'd like to procure them an adjustable, battery-powered, tiny table lamp that would help them in such situations.

The lamp would need to be small enough to easily tote around, with adjustable brightness so the light would not bother other diners. A flashlight won't work because the light will need to stay on throughout the meal, over a wider area. Something that looks like a lamp (rather than one of those closet rods) would be ideal; they'll be using it in more upscale venues.

I'm web searching and have found a few solutions that seem discreet and effective. But I wanted to see if anyone here knows of a make/model that would especially fit the bill.

Or, in this case, help them read the bill...

An elderly couple, friends of mine, were lamenting their inability to read restaurant menus and enjoy their entrees in dimly lit environments. I'd like to procure them an adjustable, battery-powered, tiny table lamp that would help them in such situations.

The lamp would need to be small enough to easily tote around, with adjustable brightness so the light would not bother other diners. A flashlight won't work because the light will need to stay on throughout the meal, over a wider area. Something that looks like a lamp (rather than one of those closet rods) would be ideal; they'll be using it in more upscale venues.

I'm web searching and have found a few solutions that seem discreet and effective. But I wanted to see if anyone here knows of a make/model that would especially fit the bill.

Or, in this case, help them read the bill...

Depending on the couple, the lamp should ideally have a Swiss Army Knife-style fold-out magnifying glass accompanying the light. (And if this hasn't yet been patented, than I'm doing so right here, right now!)

I use this to poke around the house in the dark. It works well and is bendable to ft easily within a purse or pocket. It is not dimmable, but it has two separate ligthts that are not annoying. It is directable so it should not bother other diners. It has a clip to hold on to an empty glass.

how about this, just great for the restaurants and older people. I have seen it many times in use lites on me

Proof sells (or used to) their own little credit card-sized light with magnifier. That's not something that would stay on through the meal, but it works fine for reading the menu and the bill. I carry one around with me, since I never know when I'll need it. I forget how much it cost, but it was pretty inexpensive.