Help Needed, ASAP

Barbara

Tomorrow is my brother's birthday and I would like to take him to lunch. He works in an office building right above the SS Metro stop, which is really handy since that's how I'll be getting there.

Is there a reasonably nice place to eat within a short walk from the stop? He's a 'crat, so his time is limited. No, we won't have time to go to Restaurant Eve in Old Town.

Many thanks.

I wouldn't mind the cheap eats, and neither would my brother, if it's good.  Ethnic food is OK.

Negril, 1/2-block down Thayer Ave (across Georgia Ave from Dale Music). Coco bread, vegetable patties, curried chicken, goat, oxtail, coconut tarts, chocolate-chip cookies, etc. Quick, filling and good. They have this incredibly cheap thing called a "side order" which is the curried chicken without the chicken (just a little sauce on the rice & beans with a salad). Get that (pour a dab of Matouk's hot sauce on it for some spike) and a piece of coco bread and you have a meal for about $3.50. The meat-loaf patties (coco bread stuffed with sloppy-joe) are something like $1.35, and are one of the great food values in the area. I've sometimes bought a dozen, wrapped each individually, frozen them, then stuck them in a microwave for 60 seconds and finished them off in a bagel-width toaster for browning.

Cheers,

Rocks

Just a sampling of what I want right now --

Mandalay -- Burmese on Bonifant

Cubano -- As mentioned elsewhere get the Ropa Vieja -- can't remember the street, but your brother will know where it is across from SIlver Diner

Half Moon BBQ -- Georgia

Rocks already took Negril -- everything is a great value

Just a sampling of what I want right now --

Mandalay -- Burmese on Bonifant

Cubano -- As mentioned elsewhere get the Ropa Vieja -- can't remember the street, but your brother will know where it is across from SIlver Diner

Half Moon BBQ -- Georgia

Rocks already took Negril -- everything is a great value

I'll second Mandalay and give a "meh" to Cubanos. I had a less than thrilling meal there a few weeks ago on a Saturday night. Chicken was like rubber and the service was next to impossible to flag down. :lol: I recently tried to get into Sergio's in the Hilton (emm, on Colesville I believe) on a Friday night (hah) after seeing some recs on the board, so if they're open for lunch, it would be an Italian alternative.

I'll second Mandalay and give a "meh" to Cubanos.

I'll third Mandalay (which would be my top pick), give a tip o' the hat to Half Moon BBQ, and point out that you can also get some pretty decent Ethiopian at Addis Ababa (on Fenton, about a block further than the other two).

Will have to check out the SS Negril...the food at their Gaithersburg location was good, but not as good as Caribbean Feast in Rockville (whose pastry-crust patties are still my benchmark).

Dave

Someone please start a thread on Sergio and Mandalay - both very worthy restaurants. Sergio Toni lives down the street from my parents. Up until about ten years ago, I had been to his restaurant probably more than any in the entire area. Ask for an "appetizer special" if you go and you'll get a really good mix of things including homemade pasta. His son Luigi (head server and a very conservative-looking guy) played in a punk-rock band and his daughter-in-law Nadia made the best tiramisu I've ever eaten. I wonder if he even remembers who I am. I need to go back soon - he's a wonderful person and I miss having dinner there.