Sign in to follow this  
Tweaked

Shemali's Inc.

Stop in at Shemali's Inc., a tiny Middle Eastern/Lebanese grocery shop hidden in the Foxhall Square shopping center on New Mexico Ave. (Same building as Ace Beverage).

While no where near as comprehensive as Mediterranean Bakery out near Van Dorn, it is a good little place to know about. A small selection of goods (pasta, grain, canned stuffs, and spice mixes), at least 4 different types of feta cheese, olives, and a small selection of prepared food (hummus, falafel, stuffed grape leaves, meat and spinach pies) and some excellent baklava. The ladies behind the counter are very friendly.

Probably not a place to drive great distances to visit, but if you live in the area or buying alcohol from Ace Beverage, then worth checking out.

Shemali's

3301 New Mexico Ave NW

Unfortunately, a pale shadow of its former self, when it was located next to Murphy's and the lamentable Giant, behind Two Amys. There was a lunch counter and it was possible to get a tasty hot snack there, and there was a much superior selection of Middle Eastern groceries and deli items.

It always seems to smell delicious, and have 1-2 people (no more, no less) when I walk past shopping there. Never empty, never more crowded.

On the other hand, I always read the sign as another word, because I am immature.