Post-Holiday Cookie Exchange: Sat, 2/19 at 4pm

lperry

Unfortunately, I do know who the Duggars are. I've never seen their show, but they show up on the Today Show on NBC every time they announce a new pregnancy/have another kid, which at the rate they've been going is at least once a year -- I usually watch the first half hour of Today as I'm getting ready in the morning, to get the news, and they'll promo segments like the Duggars'. These things just get wedged in there, and then wind up taking up space in my brain.

It's really interesting to me how much I "miss" by not really watching TV. I watch a few food shows on the Food Network and on WETA Create, and then there's Stargate Universe, but I sneak that in on demand. We should probably go to an HD antenna.

On topic, I remember the first time I had tater tots. It was at my aunt's house, and I must have been nine or ten. My Mom was a 1970's grind-the-grain-for-your-bread kind of cook, and these little fried things were a complete mystery and delight to me. It was a holiday, because my aunt also had an amazing platter out from a cookie exchange (I would love love love to have a big cookie exchange). I honestly can't remember having tater tots since that one momentous introduction.

Well, okay then! Let's pick a date; post your availability. This weekend is too soon, but the following three work for me. I'm available during the week, too, if others are.

So far we have:

me

lperry

Anna Blume

goldenticket

thistle

goodeats

zoramargolis

NCPinDC

...which is a good start. I think I would have to cap it at about 12 people, so if anyone else wants in, post here.

I'm free all weekends this month. Are we going to do a dozen for each participant? I think that's the usual, but it might get overwhelming if we have 12 people.

Edited to say - Sundays are probably better because it will give me the Saturday to cook.

I'm free all weekends this month. Are we going to do a dozen for each participant? I think that's the usual, but it might get overwhelming if we have 12 people.

Edited to say - Sundays are probably better because it will give me the Saturday to cook.

If it's Sunday, I am probably out, but understand if that's best for others. If Saturday, it would have to be some time around/after 3, but not too late. (And if you're interested in the macaroons, borrow your girlfriend's cookbook and sign up! :) )

Should we do a dozen for each person, or fewer? Fewer would be fine with me, say 8-10 per person (I could live with a dozen per, too). Or just decide on a set number, like 5 dozen?

Looking at websites dedicated solely to cookie exchanges, I see we should all bring an empty container. They also suggest baking 3 days in advance, to avoid people canceling because they didn't make their cookies :)