Local Organic Farmer Being Ousted by Montgomery County

Pool Boy

I received this email recently and thought I would share it. Moderators, please move this topic to whichever section you feel most appropriate. Many thanks.

Dear Friends,

We received the following email from Nick Maravell today. In a time of needing to cut county spending, Montgomery County is forcing a local organic farmer out of the county so they can build unnecessary ball fields. It is a short notice, "railroad it through" effort on the part of Montgomery County. If you would like to help prevent this farmland from being destroyed, the contact information is in the attachments.

Myron Horst

Jehovah-Jireh Farm

Myron and Cathy,

As you have experienced in the past, I am being forced off my land by Montgomery County. I have leased my 20 acre school site in Potomac for 31 years from the Montgomery County Public Schools with the understanding that it would be reclaimed by them if they needed to construct a school. With less than 3 weeks notice, I have been informed that the County government intends to take over my lease to construct ball fields--not a school use. But because my current 5 year lease expires on March 22, the school board will simply not renew my lease and instead lease the property to the County for ten years.

This action will completely terminate my seed business where I grow non-GMO certified organic corn and soybean seed for sale to other farmers and small seed companies. This site is unique for organic seed production because it is miles away from conventional farms whose corn and soybean fields could contaminate my seed crop with their airborne GMO pollen. I maintain heirloom and hard to find organic seeds, and some of this genetic diversity could be lost.

The local neighborhood organizations are supporting me, but it will take more than that.

I have notified my customers of this situation with the attached material. The School Board will vote on Tuesday. If you think your customers would be interested in supporting my effort to stop this action by contacting the School Board, the County Council and the County Executive, and possibly attending the School Board meeting during the public comment period this Tues. March 8 from 10:05 to 10:35 a.m to show unity and support, then I would appreciate it if you could send them this information.

Thanks for any help you can offer. We do not have much time.

Nick

There is more to this story than the author is letting on.

First of all, Nick was given notice months ago that MCSB was considering not renewing the lease, as this was made public during the budgeting process. It is identified as a "surplus site", and with budget concerns, the SB is considering how to increase the revenue associated with their unused properties. Also, I take exception to his comment about "unnecessary ball fields". In fact there is currently a massive shortage of public soccer and baseball fields in Montgomery County, especially in Potomac.

It does seem like the process is being somewhat rushed, and maybe there's a compromise and some way to subdivide the space, but it's hardly a "railroad" effort.

Yeah, not sure I get the argument here.

Public land was leased to the farmer. The county honored the lease through the full term. And now that it is ending, the County is deciding to use the property for a different purpose - something it has the right to do.

It may be unfortunate for the farmer, but as Daniel says, isn't railroading. The way to prevent such unfortunate action is for the farmer to buy the farmland in the first place - a 31 year run at lease rates without the risks of ownership was a nice run.

I hate to say it, but this kind of appeal from the farmer does a disservice to such farmers. It drips of an attitude that the farmer is doing something super-special and that the County (land owner) should rank that use over all others - and while the farm may be unique, ultimately.... the lease is up and ballfields are certainly a school use.

I hate to say it, but this kind of appeal from the farmer does a disservice to such farmers. It drips of an attitude that the farmer is doing something super-special

Maybe it depends on your definition of "special".

"my seed business where I grow non-GMO certified organic corn and soybean seed for sale to other farmers and small seed companies. This site is unique for organic seed production because it is miles away from conventional farms whose corn and soybean fields could contaminate my seed crop with their airborne GMO pollen. I maintain heirloom and hard to find organic seeds, and some of this genetic diversity could be lost.

Nick"

Wouldn't it be nice if the county could/would accommodate many different types of land use? Small farms and ballfields? also i want a pony for christmas

FYI - from Roger Berliner, the council rep for the District that the land falls in:

As a former coach, I understand the need for more fields. The scarcity of fields downcounty presents a significant challenge to parents and to athletic organizations. On the other hand, the nature of Brickyard Road, with its winding turns in the heart of a residential area, may not lend itself particularly well to the type of intensive use that is contemplated by four new soccer fields. Others might feel that the organic farming taking place there is the best use for the site. Each perspective is a legitimate point of view - points of view that I believe should be explored in an honest, upfront conversation that engages the community and considers neighborhood concerns while making the best use of the County's asset. It is in that context that last week I asked the Board of Education to postpone action on this item, until there has been more time for meaningful public input.

Maybe it depends on your definition of "special".

Not mine - the County's. The County has large swaths of land reserved for agriculture with special protections. This land reserved for school use that was let out to lease. The leasee decided to farm it - but that choice doesn't give the land the special status of the ag reserve.

Wouldn't it be nice if the county could/would accommodate many different types of land use? Small farms and ballfields? also i want a pony for christmas

Are there not both small farms and ballfields throughout the County?

Don't get me wrong, this sucks. But leases run out eventually.

FYI - from Roger Berliner, the council rep for the District that the land falls in:

As a former coach, I understand the need for more fields. The scarcity of fields downcounty presents a significant challenge to parents and to athletic organizations. On the other hand, the nature of Brickyard Road, with its winding turns in the heart of a residential area, may not lend itself particularly well to the type of intensive use that is contemplated by four new soccer fields. Others might feel that the organic farming taking place there is the best use for the site. Each perspective is a legitimate point of view - points of view that I believe should be explored in an honest, upfront conversation that engages the community and considers neighborhood concerns while making the best use of the County's asset. It is in that context that last week I asked the Board of Education to postpone action on this item, until there has been more time for meaningful public input.

I'm all for the dialog.

I don't get the "winding turns in the heart of a residential area" argument. Soccer fields would be used during normal waking hours but on non-business days - weekends and holidays. That means the traffic would be at times when there wouldn't be other traffic, vs a school that adds to weekday morning traffic as well as sports on the weekend. (of course, a farm adds no traffic, i get that). And sorry, but Brickyard rd does not have winding turns (it has a single "dogleg left") and it is currently a through street and so will have some traffic already. And from the looks of the map, people coming off Falls road would pass about 13 houses to get to the ballfields - 5 on one side, 8 on the other. Falls road has direct access to I-270, making it a good access site generally. I'd be surprised if there's any such site in the County that's accessible from I270 and passes LESS houses on the way...except maybe at the very north end of 270 in MoCo...where the farms generally are.

I'm not anti-farming at all. But I am pro contracts and ownership rights