Doughnuts

KeithA

[sorry, but I couldn't find an existing topic - I'm sure it exists somewhere] So my new obsession is with the new-ish? chocolate doughnuts at Whole Foods (or at least the big Friendship Heights WF) - these are really good and very rich. They are a cake-like donut (or at least seem so, pretty heavy) with chocolate ganache icing on top and then filled with nutella-like chocolate hazelnut cream/sauce. Really yummy for the chocoholics out there. I will say they are pretty filling - I can only eat 1 and normally I'd have no problem knocking back a handful of doughnuts. Go check them out.

[sorry, but I couldn't find an existing topic - I'm sure it exists somewhere] So my new obsession is with the new-ish? chocolate doughnuts at Whole Foods (or at least the big Friendship Heights WF) - these are really good and very rich. They are a cake-like donut (or at least seem so, pretty heavy) with chocolate ganache icing on top and then filled with nutella-like chocolate hazelnut cream/sauce. Really yummy for the chocoholics out there. I will say they are pretty filling - I can only eat 1 and normally I'd have no problem knocking back a handful of doughnuts. Go check them out.

KeithA,

Thank you for the suggestion! I've been having a deep chocolate craving that my KitKats haven't been able to satisfy. I will surely check these donuts out!

I do not have a huge sweet tooth but once a week I like to have an apple fritter with my morning coffee. I like the kind that have lots of crispy nodules. (There is another kind whose focus seems to be more on the apple filling - Dunkin Donuts seems to have these more often, if they have an apple fritter.) Starbucks has apple fritters but they aren't as crispy as I'd like them.

The one place I've been able to consistently find the kind I like are at Greenberry's Coffee & Tea Co in Rosslyn. Does anyone know of another spot? I live in Rosslyn and work in Bethesda, so pretty much any location is great! (A search turns up some spots that look like they served something similar for dessert, but I'm looking more for cafes/coffeeshops with apple fritters).

I do not have a huge sweet tooth but once a week I like to have an apple fritter with my morning coffee. I like the kind that have lots of crispy nodules. (There is another kind whose focus seems to be more on the apple filling - Dunkin Donuts seems to have these more often, if they have an apple fritter.) Starbucks has apple fritters but they aren't as crispy as I'd like them.

The one place I've been able to consistently find the kind I like are at Greenberry's Coffee & Tea Co in Rosslyn. Does anyone know of another spot? I live in Rosslyn and work in Bethesda, so pretty much any location is great! (A search turns up some spots that look like they served something similar for dessert, but I'm looking more for cafes/coffeeshops with apple fritters).

shoppers food warehouse actually does a really good and consistent apple fritter. Actually most of their donuts are decent for what they are.

I am going shopping at Whole Foods tonight and will indeed check them out!

shoppers food warehouse actually does a really good and consistent apple fritter. Actually most of their donuts are decent for what they are.

I wholeheartedly agree. Shoppers' "wall o' donuts" is actually pretty dang good. Their apple fritter can especially be good if you get a nice crusty one (my favorite). They also have plain raised donuts (no glaze, no nuttin') which are probably my favorite donut.

I should also give a shoutout to Shilla Bakery for their Korean twist and tapioca donuts. Not the traditional donut, yes, but soooo good.

Went back to Whole Foods Friendship Heights this week and saw they also have mixed berry doughnuts, so I'd thought I'd try them after enjoying the chocolate iced, nutella filled ones so much. The mixed berry were ok - but nothing special - sugary, pink icing on top, same somewhat heavy cake doughnut with an ok berry filling. The filling was better than the bright red glop you get in most mass-market jelly doughnuts though - this one probably was made of actual fruit jam. Still love the chocolate ones though - must resist the urge (I work right near this WF, so it is tough).

I didn't see doughnuts at the WF Clarendon, but I did see jelly-filled beignets. Wasn't in the mood to try them, but thought I would add to this list.

WF Tysons had two varieties in the bakery case: jelly doughnut and the custard with chocolate on top. The latter was really good and brought me back to Country Donut days of Crystal Lake.