Hard-Boiled Eggs

goodeats

Not as witty as Don or leleboo, so feel free to change the title and subheader. I didn't see any topics on this, so I thought I would start a new one. Feel free to move this too if there is an existing one.

I saw MC Horoscope's post:

The use of hardboiled egg reminded me of the country style shrimp and egg stews and gumbos I had in Louisiana growing up, dishes you never see in restaurants, except maybe in small towns like Maurice.

and it reminded me that eggs are this universal food that is versatile and comforting.

I like mine either tea-cracked style or stewed in soy sauce with meats and veggies still (or in ramen), since that was how I had them growing up. The two new ways I like them are as deviled eggs or in an egg salad sandwich.

So how did you have them growing up or how do you like them now?

I make Eggs Goldenrod for brunch sometimes: Boil eggs, peel, separate yolks and whites. Make a rich cream bechamel (can be seasoned with a little curry powder ). Chop the whites & add to the bechamel and pour over toast points or toasted english muffin halves. Press the yolks through a sieve and top the toast points with the fluffy yolks.

I recently decided that if I was stranded on a deserted island, I would be ok if i had eggs and vinegar. Eggs you can cook so many delicious ways and vinegar because I love pickled things, although funnily enough even though I am from the South, I have never had a pickled egg. The jars on the counters freak me out a little. Has anyone sampled and lived to tell the tale?

My mother was a wonderful Syrian cook, but she adapted to our home in Amish country by making some of the best pickled red beet eggs I've ever had. They are a staple on the Lancaster County table.

She also made a lower fat version of Scotch eggs, wrapping a hard boiled egg in nicely seasoned ground beef and baking them....she served them halved or quartered with a mustard sauce....mmmm.