Dinner for 55 - $7,500 budget -10/8/11

Mrs. B

A group of former employees are getting together to hold a reunion in celebration of working at one of the coolest places on earth (if you are a tax lawyer or numbers wonk). We were pretty well lined up with Kenwood CC until a pesky indemnification clause (basically it required that the signer indemnify against everything including malfeasance of the staff) tweaked one of the wonkier among us :mellow: .

So now we have an event without a location. Any thoughts? Ideally we would have 1 hour of cocktails (with room enough to mingle) and then dinner, buffet would be fine. Tabard is booked. Have not heard back from the Madison (our old stomping grounds) or the Mayflower. The Arts Club comes in a bit over budget.

Thanks in advance for all suggestions.

Corduroy's second floor comes to my mind. Has a great bar and enough room for a buffet style food

I will pass that on, thanks Ferhat. Unfortunately the website says private dining is limited to 40 and we are most likely 55.

The Tabard suggested we try the Mansion on O Street. Anyone have any thoughts on that? It looks like Charlie Palmer will exceed the budget.

The Tabard suggested we try the Mansion on O Street. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

I do not know what it costs, but I have been to several events there and it is a fun space. I thought you needed to have a club member sponsor an event, but I could be wrong about that.

Hotel Palomar vs. Charlie Palmer

Palomar is slightly less expensive and allows for full bar for 2 hours.

I think that Palmer's will be perceived as a swanker space for our older Esquires but will only have a beer/wine bar (cash for liquor)that may/will be perceived as cheap ass by the non-Esquires though to a great degree imho it was the

loyal minions that made the place great. Of course I was one of the loyal minions not an Esq.

Valet parking at Palomar is $19 and at CP is $8,

Does anyone have any dining experience at both locations? I have only dined at CP and found it perfectly serviceable.

All opinions gratefully considered :mellow:

I've only been to Charlie Palmer, so I can't add much. Is getting up onto the roof at CP something you can arrange for your group? That would be a totally cool intangible extra.

The valet parking differential is probably one drink. It's hard to know what your crowd is, but if they know beer and wine are included, they may just go that way.

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I think Charlie Palmer has more cachet overall, especially if you can get onto the roof.

ETA: I mean getting onto the roof as a bonus, not where your event would be held.