Small Airport Dining

jayandstacey

I'm writing a small piece for my (very) local paper on dining at airports - but NOT the National/Dulles/BWI kind. Rather, Montgomery County, Frederick and College Park will be mentioned.

Are there other small, local airports that have food service that anyone can recommend I check out? Not fancy but more a chance to take the kids and watch some airplanes take off on a nice day. I have very low expectations for the food, but can confidently say the offerings (at the small airports mentioned above) are better than at the big three.

Thoughts?

I just asked my husband, a pilot, for his thoughts. He says that Gaithersburg's outside tables are wonderful, and Frederick "has a real gem of a 1950s airport restaurant." Someone traveling on the Eastern Shore might drop in on Easton and Cambridge, with Cambridge being the better place. (I've been to Cambridge--it's pretty nice.) He says Manassas has something, but he's not tried it. How extensive is your definition of DC area? He knows more places further out.

I love this thread, and it's too bad that 94th Aero Squadron is closed, not because it was good (it wasn't), but because it was (yes, just because it "was"), and because it was just so much FUN to be there (the website describes "College Park Airport, the oldest, continuously operating airport in the world.") If that's not cool, then what is?

I wish I knew a good recommendation for you; I'm hoping to learn one from the responses on this thread.

Thank you for starting this topic - I love it!

Cheers,

Rocks

Shoot - after posting this I also discovered the 94th had closed....shame, it was kind of cool to go there, despite the quality of the food. I worked there for a while - though not in any food related capacity.

So...a trip to Cambridge? Maybe. That's a haul, but I've written about other places farther out. BTW, the gist of the column is 'interesting themed stuff to do outside our neghborhood" and the last column covered places to buy vinyl 45s around DC.

So maybe it isn't always about food. Maybe I make it just about going to hang out at aiports and the food aspect is a part of it:

- Gaithersburg's patio, where you want to get any of the Greek food items and watch the approaches and landings. The menu is a basic hamburgers/sandwiches offering and the owner is there EVERY time - so it is consistent and a good value. It isn't haute cuisine but is a great way to spend a sunny saturday lunchtime.

- National where you sit on the parkland and the jets roar just over your head; bring a picnic

- Frederick, which also has a restaurant focused on seafood and includes helicopters and such

- Dulles and the amazing Udvar Hazy control tower

- Then I'll scope out BWI, maybe cambridge, maybe College Park (do they have a 'hang out' place?), maybe Manassas or Hagerstown.

Hmmmm....

Kent Island Depot? I believe ol_ironstomach has posted about it somewhere around here.

Will check this too. I imagine this might be interesting, and Kent Island isn't quite as far as Easton or Cambridge. Plus - my deadline isn't until later in the summer, so I have some time to dabble on this.

At the risk of a ginourmous post, I'll add the final article here once it is written.

Will check this too. I imagine this might be interesting, and Kent Island isn't quite as far as Easton or Cambridge. Plus - my deadline isn't until later in the summer, so I have some time to dabble on this.

At the risk of a ginourmous post, I'll add the final article here once it is written.

You may want to also call some of the local flying schools and talk with some of the instructors (just don't ask for any dive restaurants).