bettyjoan

A group of 5 of us are coming to DC in March to run the Rock & Roll USA Half Marathon. My husband and I are the "experts," having lived in DC for a number of years, and the rest of the folks are looking to us for guidance (one of them has only been to DC once, and it was back when she was in middle school). Four of us will eat anything, and the fifth wheel is a vegetarian (she also keeps Kosher, but not eating meat takes care of most of those issues).

We will get in late Thursday night, so we'll probably just crash after cabbing in from the airport.

On Friday (late morning-ish), we will have to go over to the Armory to pick up our race numbers, and we were planning on cooking at home that night, since the race is early Saturday morning (we're renting a condo rather than staying in a hotel, for precisely that purpose). But, we'll be free for lunch...any ideas?

Saturday night I was thinking Fiola - I feel like they have enough delicious non-pasta options so we won't feel like we are carbo-loading AGAIN. Plus, celebrating (hopefully) our personal records with Jeff's fantabulous cocktails sounds like a brilliant idea to me.

Sunday night I'm torn - it will only be four of us (our veggie friend is leaving early), and I was hoping we could do Rasika, but they are closed on Sundays. Proof? Ray's? Cashion's? We might want to hop around a bit and perhaps go to a couple of other bars before/after, so someplace in a livelier area might be better. Thoughts?

I want to show all the delicious things DC has to offer. Any input appreciated!

If you will be by the armory... maybe lunch on Captiol Hill would work. You could do Cava for tapas, they probably have a decent vegetarian selection. There is also Seventh Hill Pizza, Ted's Bulletin and Zest, but I have never been to those and don't know if they are open for lunch. H St would be another decent option for lunch. Liberty Tree has weekend lunch. But I don't know what else is open for lunch. Zaytinya is always good for vegetarian options.

Fiola is an excellent choice, but you could always do Rasika that night and Fiola the next (that would put you in Penn Quarter to hop around a bit)? Ripple up in Cleaveland Park might be worth a look for Sunday dinner. All the places you mentioned are still good. I am not good on what is good in the 14th St (except Masa 14) or U st area, but those would also be livelier. Estadio could also be fun?

Oh and Mintwood Place just opened, but I really like the chef from his time at other places and it could definitely be worth checking out.

Fiola is an excellent choice, but you could always do Rasika that night and Fiola the next

Unfortunately, both Fiola AND Rasika are closed on Sundays. And if I have to choose one, I'm thinking Jeff gives Fiola the edge. :D

Thanks for the Capitol Hill suggestions - that was an area I rarely visited when I lived in town, so I'm a little out of my element.

I'd second Seventh Hill if you have a vegetarian.

Sunday night I'd suggest 14th St., Estadio, Cork, Masa 14th, or Birch and Barley are available for food; plus there is a healthy bar scene at ChurchKey, Cafe St. Ex, or the Gibson if you want upscale or Black Jack if you want bocce ball.

You could also check out the new Mintwood in Adams Morgan on Sunday.

Also I'd keep in mind March 17th is St. Patricks Day and a Saturday -- won't see any revelers I bet at Fiola but I'm sure other places in Penn Quarter/Chinatown will be a mess.

On the Hill: Just note that Seventh Hill Pizza doesn't have much in the way of seating, although that may not be such a big issue if you are going on a Friday for lunch. Cava on 8th street is definitely veg friendly. Another option would be the Capitol Hill Match Box, although the non-pizza veg options are more limited, it's also along 8th Street.

Unfortunately, both Fiola AND Rasika are closed on Sundays. And if I have to choose one, I'm thinking Jeff gives Fiola the edge. :D

Thanks for the Capitol Hill suggestions - that was an area I rarely visited when I lived in town, so I'm a little out of my element.

I'm a little biased, but I think Fiola is an excellent choice. Hope to see you then!

Well, Fiola got vetoed because we are carbo-loading on Friday and the rest of the group didn't want Italian on Saturday. So, we are heading to Proof for dinner, but Jeff, we will join you for cocktails and dessert afterward!

I think Matchbox is a great suggestion for lunch on Friday, and then I believe we are going to Cashion's for dinner on Sunday (with carousing in the AdMo area afterward, I imagine). Thanks to everyone for the suggestions - we are really looking forward to being back in town! Cross your fingers for nice, mild running weather...