cheeses you can grill/brown

sandynva

Lately i've really been enjoying salads with slices of haloumi that I brown in a skillet on my stove. I like getting the flavor of browned/toasted cheese and melty texture without breading. so i was wondering, are there any other cheeses that you can similarly brown without breading? also,the fact that i currently get my haloumi from harris-teeter, where it is $13 for 9 oz, is limiting my consumption somewhat. does anyone know of a more economical source for haloumi, or is this just the going rate for it? thank you.

When J. was in Helsinki earlier in the summer, he said that in various restaurants there every salad he ate had browned haloumi on it. All the rage there, apparently.

I don't know if it will be cheaper, but the Middle Eastern markets I know of all carry it, so you might check the price at the one nearest to you. For a complete list, go to Washingtoneats.com. I'm thinking about Shemali's in the district, Mediterranean Bakery in Alexandria, and the Greek grocery in Bailey's Crossroads next door to the Thai market and Rabieng Restaurant on Leesburg Pike (can't recall the name off the top of my head).

This page on cheeses for saganaki lists quite a variety of grillable cheeses. That said, the only one other than halloumi that I can say I'd consider common is kasseri, they might be more expensive due to their relative rarity.

But, as zoramargolis says, a market like Mediterranean Bakery, would be a good place to search them out. I'm fairly certain I've seen halloumi there (maybe two or three brands), but I can't remember pricing info. If I go by in the next couple days, I'll reply here with the prices.

Wow, thanks you guys! your assistance is much appreciated! yes, i should def. check out markets like mediterranean bakery, or maybe even lebanese taverna market...

btw, if you happen to get some yourself, i highly reccomend some grilled slices, cut into pieces, tossed with similarly-sized chunks of tomato and peach and tossed with a simple vinaigrette with or without honey.

I went by Mediterranean Bakery this evening and they do indeed have halloumi, at least two different brands (I remember Christis). Each sells for $10.99/lb it looked like. There might have been a brandless (bulk, perhaps) as well.

They also carried a big assortment of kasseri (Greek, Turkish, Hungarian?...lots), as well as kefalotyri and one other I can't remember (kefalograviera?).

Of course, I don't know how their halloumi compares to what you got at HT, but if you like it, it seems like a bit of a good deal!

the Greek grocery in Bailey's Crossroads next door to the Thai market and Rabieng Restaurant on Leesburg Pike (can't recall the name off the top of my head).

Aphrodite. A wonderful shop that I never get to any more since I stopped working at Seven Corners in 2003. If they still carry an Egyptian feta, buy some. It was the best I ever tasted.

Aphrodite. A wonderful shop that I never get to any more since I stopped working at Seven Corners in 2003. If they still carry an Egyptian feta, buy some. It was the best I ever tasted.

Thank you. As you age, you lose brain cells, and the name of that store was on one of those cells.

I went by Mediterranean Bakery this evening and they do indeed have halloumi, at least two different brands (I remember Christis). Each sells for $10.99/lb it looked like. There might have been a brandless (bulk, perhaps) as well.

Also: Greek festivals. I got some delicious kasseri for cheap at the St. Sophia Greekfest last year.

Wow, thank you all, particularly The Matt for actually checking on prices! i'm sure that if anything, the stuff from mediterranean bakery is better, and fresher than the HT stuff, and the suggestions of the egyptian feta and cheese from the greek festival, sound delicious as well. i'm also intrigued by the idea of american frying cheese, and Aphrodite, which i've never been to.

I am on vacation or I would get a precise name but at least one of the bodegas's on Mt. Pleasant have a frying cheese called appropriately queso para frier. If I have mispelled that please kill me when I get back from almost the middle of nowhere. I have enjoyed preparing this with plantain and refried red beans.