Silver Fountain, Aspen Hill Shopping Center

The MontCoDimSum Comparo Team concluded its investigations today at Silver Fountain in Aspen Hill. I don't think any of us had been there before, or was even more than dimly aware of its existence. It's a good place to know about.

The time of day at which we've been going (1pm) hasn't really been an issue elsewhere, but I suspect it was definitely a factor at Silver Fountain. The kitchen seemed to be winding down, judging by the lack of variety and the infrequency of carts. We really should give SF another shot at an earlier time slot, since what we did get was worthwhile. The dishes offered were mostly Dim Sum's Greatest Hits (sui mei, har gow, cheong fan, sticky rice, etc), but they were all well executed.

Service was very good,. However, I felt that the staff had lower expectations for their non-Chinese clientele, and they seemed a little hesitant to offer things like tripe and chicken feet (until they saw how eagerly we grabbed at the latter). We noticed Chinese clientele nearby being brought dim sum straight from the kitchen, although we couldn't really see what they were getting (special dishes, or just fresh offerings of standard items).

I think Silver Fountain would be an excellent choice for dim sum novices. The choices aren't overwhelming or too exotic, there's minimal language barrier, the restaurant is attractive, and the prices are low (we spent $12.50 per adult, including tip, for a generous meal).

edit: DanielK is right, they were chicken feet. Now I can't remember who serves duck feet and who serves chicken feet...

Edited by perrik

I actually thought the har gow was the best of all the places we visited in the whirlwind tour. And I think we had chicken feet, not duck feet.

Other than that, what Perri said.

Where exactly in Aspen Hill is the restaurant?

13533 Connecticut Ave, in the south side of the Aspen Hill Shopping Center. On the east side of Conn, a block south of Aspen Hill Rd.

I always thought you could pretty much walk from one side of Aspen Hill to the other, though...

While we normally go to New Fortune or HEOB for dim sum, Silver Fountain is a standby for when we want to go somewhere close by. I often feel that they tend to ignore/brush off non-Chinese diners, and they do not serve duck feet (neither does New Fortune btw) but it is good if not exceptional dim sum.

While we normally go to New Fortune or HEOB for dim sum, Silver Fountain is a standby for when we want to go somewhere close by. I often feel that they tend to ignore/brush off non-Chinese diners, and they do not serve duck feet (neither does New Fortune btw) but it is good if not exceptional dim sum.

Karen and I went there last weekend. They have updated the decor, and once I asked about duck feet, the server brought me a huge bowl of them, good too. Service has gotten better to non-Chinese folks. If you go on a Sunday, I recommend making it there just before noon to get in before the crowds.

We noticed Chinese clientele nearby being brought dim sum straight from the kitchen, although we couldn't really see what they were getting (special dishes, or just fresh offerings of standard items).

Probably a combination of both. When my family (Chinese) goes for dim sum, we often don't find the foods we're looking for on the carts, so we always ask the waitstaff if they have it available. A lot of the time they will bring it straight out from the kitchen if it is available or seek it out from the carts. Sometimes it's a regular dish to supplement the meal.

Karen and I went there last weekend. They have updated the decor, and once I asked about duck feet, the server brought me a huge bowl of them, good too.

If you go on a Sunday, I recommend making it there just before noon to get in before the crowds.

Merry Mary and I were in a dim sum mood and since I have been seeing plenty of ads in the Chinese newspaper about this place, I asked if she was game to try it and thankfully, she was.

Dim sum service here runs on carts daily from 11:00am to 3:00pm. Even at 2:00pm, there were a good number of carts with a nice variety, AND the items were still hot.

Of the ones we tried of stuffed tofu, har gow (shrimp dumplings), roast pork buns (the baked, not steamed kind), stuffed eggplant, turnip cakes, leek dumplings and shumai, the stuffed tofu was the only real miss -- the tofu was too firm and not silky enough.

As dinwiddie stated, the decor is nice and there was a nice crowd of folks for dim sum at the late hour.

All of the above, plus Jasmine tea using real tea leaves came to $25 for the 2 of us.

We were thinking of a dim sum Sunday here if anyone else is interested....

Merry Mary and I were in a dim sum mood and since I have been seeing plenty of ads in the Chinese newspaper about this place, I asked if she was game to try it and thankfully, she was.

Dim sum service here runs on carts daily from 11:00am to 3:00pm. Even at 2:00pm, there were a good number of carts with a nice variety, AND the items were still hot.

Of the ones we tried of stuffed tofu, har gow (shrimp dumplings), roast pork buns (the baked, not steamed kind), stuffed eggplant, turnip cakes, leek dumplings and shumai, the stuffed tofu was the only real miss -- the tofu was too firm and not silky enough.

As dinwiddie stated, the decor is nice and there was a nice crowd of folks for dim sum at the late hour.

All of the above, plus Jasmine tea using real tea leaves came to $25 for the 2 of us.

We were thinking of a dim sum Sunday here if anyone else is interested....

I have often stopped at Silver Fountain for a week day dim sum lunch and never seen a cart. I believe they have carts only on Saturdays and Sundays. That said, their dim sum offerings are consistently good. Until Hollywood East 2 rises from the ashes of Hollywood East 1 this is my go to place for dim sum.

Count me in for a dim sum Sunday.

Jake and I went there a couple of weeks ago (Karen decided she wasn't going to try to eat the weird stuff we would be looking for). When we asked about duck feet, one of the head folks said that they don't normally have them on the carts, but they do make them and when they know that someone likes them will make sure to provide them if asked (and they are available.) Once it was obvious that we were the type who ate almost anything, we were offered all kinds of things that we normally had to ask about. Once we ordred the jelly fish (good), duck feet (quite good), tripe (good but more to Jake's taste than mine) and the duck blood (boring) they were sold and we wer offered everything under the sun. Like I have said earlier, not the best dim sum, but a solid place, good service, nice decor, and a willingness to please. It does get crowded on weekends, especially Sunday, but as a standby that is only 5 minutes away from the house, it is definitely a good place to go when we just aren't in the mood to drive to Wheaton or Gaithersburg.

I'll be the lone stand out here and trek my way back to Silver Fountain next time if I venture up this way for dim sum.

Goodeats, I'll join you at Silver Fountain. I never had the opportunity to try HEOTB when it was still OTB, but my experience at the new location was lacking compared to the meal I had a few weeks earlier at Silver Fountain.

The company at both meals was, of course, outstanding! :)

Interesting (and probably belongs in another thread) but I just went to Silver Fountain and didn't care for it much. A couple of things were good, but mostly it was greasy and the flavor lacked. I am no dimsum expert but I didn't think it was good overall. This was weekday dimsum, not weekend cart.