Newspaper Food Sections (What's the deal with Wednesdays?)

dcs

After wondering whether the fact that the New York Times and the Washington Post publish their food sections on the same day was a mere coincidence, I set off to research the question on the Internet and found no clear answer. I did, however, find this nifty page that lists newspaper food sections and columns online by day of the week. Wednesday is the most popular day of the week for a newspaper food section or column to appear, by a large margin. So, while I have been unable to answer my original question, I am left with a new one: What's the deal with Wednesdays and newspaper food sections?

Probably something to do with when grocery stores change their prices, and put out their circulars.

Traditionally, that is the case. Back in the day, all major metro newspapers had their food sections appear on Wednesdays.

I may be misremembering, but I seem to recall that until some time in the 1980s, the Washington Post (which was then a far less odious rag than it is today) had a food section on Thursdays and Sundays, for whatever that's worth.

I remember they had some kind of food section or sub-section on Sundays, but I thought the main one was Wednesday. Certainly, I could be wrong. I started reading the Post regularly in 1983. While I have copies of some old food sections that I could check dates on, fortunately none are that far back <_<

I'm not finding it easily, but I remember reading somewhere that it was because Thursday was the traditional day to shop. That way, food was fresh for the weekend and could be prepped on Friday. So the grocery stores would run the grocery ads on Wednesdays.

Probably by Wednesday, the newspapers knew what specials the grocery stores would be running for the weekend / Friday payday shoppers, since they had to get the ads ready, so they would feature recipes and articles that tied in to what their advertisers were promoting.