Cupcakes

mktye

Thanks, lovehockey! Do you think I could make the coconut topping any earlier (tomorrow?) and fridge it?

Observation: The reason I'm plunging into making my own is because I priced them at a few bakeries around the city. Holy Moses. When the cupcakes would cost half as much as the wine, Houston, we have a problem.

I'm hosting a shower Saturday that has turned out to be a heck of a lot bigger than I thought it would be, so I'm trying to mete out the work throughout this week. I'm planning to make the cake from these cupcakes with the coconut topping from these.

I have seen many recipes for cakes with buttermilk; usually there's some comment to the effect that the cake tastes better the next day. That's certainly been my experience. So for this particular recipe, I'd say yes, bake them the day before. I've never made a topping like that, though, so I have no comment there, except from a food safety perspective if you make it the day before, refrigerate it.

Thanks for the advice, P and L. I ended up making the icing on Wednesday because I was going to be really pressed for time Thursday, and the cakes Friday night. They were awesome.

Actually, they were awesome separately. I wouldn't do them together again. The cakes were dense and chocolatey and not too sweet and gorgeous. The German chocolate cake topping was really nice, but it was kind of insipid on the cakes.

Note: I can't believe I just used the word "insipid" here, which I had always before found eye-rollingly pretentious when used in regards to food, but in this case it's actually true! And I'm also patting myself on the back that my tastebuds didn't just say, "CUPCAKECUPCAKECUPCAKE" and disregard the bad icing-cake pairing. Yay for a discerning palate!

Note 2: When you are mixing and matching frosting and cake recipes, look at the number of servings on BOTH so you don't end up making frosting for the 24 cupcakes you need but only 12 cakes so that you have to make a whole second batch at midnight. Just sayin'...

My wife (with a tiny little help from me) made these last weekend. Instead of sprinkling them with a bit of salt, she opted for the mini pretzel.  They are salted caramel chocolate cupcakes.

attachicon.gifcupcake copy.jpg

Those look awesome! Great call on the pretzel, too. One of my go to snacks is by Skinny Cow-it's an ice cream bar with a topping of caramel and pretzel, covered in chocolate.