Restaurants for Georgetown Graduation Celebration

catincal

Although I have been a frequenter of this board for a while, this is my first post, so please be kind...

My parents (and aunt and uncle) are coming for my graduation festivities from Georgetown in mid-May. We are looking for a few restaurants for celebratory dinners throughout the weekend. My parents love Kinkeads - we've always had wonderful meals there (I think it earned points with my mom because we saw Reese Witherspoon and Ryan Phillippe there at our last meal). We were also thinking about Citronelle. We had an EXTREMELY disappointing meal at 1789 for their last trip out here. The service was awful and the food was mediocre. Some other ideas like fun places such as Mie n Yu were being thrown around just for atmosphere and drinks, not necessarily for extraordinary food quality.

After reading opinions that everyone on this board has, I would love to see what ideas you have. Everything that I've read has great validity and I'd love to hear about new places. Obviously, we'll be in the Georgetown area, so places in DC easily accessible by cab are more practical than places way out in Virgina or Maryland.

-- A little background on "tastes" - the fam is from Northern California, mother loves pasta, chicken, father loves... well, everything. We are big seafood fans in general, but not too inclined to enjoy extremely ethinc foods (indian/greek, etc - although I adore sushi, the rest of my family thinks it is disgusting).

Thanks for any imput!

I don't know when you were last at 1789, but the current chef, Nathan Beauchamp, started in January. You might want to give it another try. Also, are you geogrpahically constrained. If yiou are mobile, you might want to consider a road trip to Restaurant Eve in Old Town. Or you might wan to consider Black Salt. Other possibilities include Tosca and Oceanaire.

Edited by Jacques Gastreaux

-- A little background on "tastes" - the fam is from Northern California, mother loves pasta, chicken, father loves... well, everything.  We are big seafood fans in general, but not too inclined to enjoy extremely ethinc foods (indian/greek, etc - although I adore sushi, the rest of my family thinks it is disgusting).

Thanks for any imput!

the crew at mendocino grille is turning out very good food, has enthusiastic and strong service, and i think that is a very charming dining room. and it is right on the east edge of gtown, and focuses on foods from the region.

I've been hearing lots of good things about Vidalia lately...and you could do cocktails at any number of places only blocks away (David Gregory, Circle Bistro, Firefly- I think those places are as fun for drinks). But you'd do just as well at Marcel's, I'm sure.

I think our own Starfish is being a bit modest!

Notti Bianche would be a very nice place to go for a special meal. NB meets several of your criteria - great pasta, Italian(ish), very good 'everything' else such as seafood and beef. It's also very close to Georgetown, though on GWU territory :lol: . The dining room is cozy and not too loud - perfect for a small group who may actually want to enjoy a conversation with each other, while enjoying wonderful food and excellent service.