Market Inn, 2nd and E Streets SW - Closed.

My boss, a former Secretary of HEW under Ford, has been going to the Market Inn since the 70’s, and has, in fact, enjoyed the service of the same waitress all this time. In addition to the service, he is particularly fond of the atmosphere and the she-crab soup, and given all the stories I’ve heard over the years, I was looking forward to his next trip to Washington and the free meal that would come with it.

The truth is, the place is old and a bit run-down…it likely hasn’t been remodeled since he first started eating there 35-odd years ago! But, believe it or not, there is a certain charm there, with a bar that is nice and dank (but the dank, Moe, the dank!), an ancient “piano” and ancient piano player performing live music every night, and a most impressive collection of nudes that adorns the walls (often the subject of the many stories), including a mesmerizing portrait of Marilyn Monroe.

I thought the she-crab soup was as good as advertised. It was rich and creamy, following an old southern recipe I’m told, and with a few splashes of sherry, most enjoyable. Other than that, the food was serviceable to just plain bad, which was a shame.

No real need to go into a detailed description here, because it’s certainly not your typical DR place. However, in the interest of getting a thread going on all DC restaurants, I figured I’d share.

But hey, it is what it is, and if you’re looking for a different kind of atmosphere and love the dank, then it’s worth stopping by the bar for a bourbon and a cup o’ soup.

Its different, thats for sure!

When I worked in the Ford building we used to stop by every so often for drinks after work. Never ate there.

Apparently, its a very popular brunch spot on weekend.

It's probably been 25 years since my last meal there. You are right in that the food isn't of the sort to attract most on this board, but it has long been the kind of place where a lot of old-timers and native Washingtonians are comfortable. It's always THERE, ya know?

My wife eats there about once a month with her former boss. I have joined them a few times and have been surprised by the food. There is nothing trendy about the place, and the decor is rather lacking, but the soups that I have had are quite good. I especially like the She-Crab and the Turtle soups. I have also been happy with the crab cakes and prime rib. Neither are on par with the Prime Rib, but neither was the bill.

The Market Inn does not try to be anything other than what it has always been, a decent place for well prepared seafood and beef at a decent price.

Market Inn is one of the places covered in a show on DC food by Paula Deen's sons, Jamie and Bobby (ok, full disclosure: I think Jamie's cute. I also think they're better food "personalities" than their mother.) The episode is just about to end now. I don't know when it will be re-aired. I forget the name of the show :P

I found the Market Inn piece the best of the three segments (the others were Mom's Apple Pies and Sticky Fingers Bakery).

ETA: The show is Road Tasted, and it appears that the last airing of the episode was overnight.