Upstream Seafood Market, Silver Spring

squidsdc

Upstream Seafood Market, which offers a variety of fresh seafood, is moving to Montgomery Hills.

The store will be located at 9426 Georgia Ave. in the Seminary Place shopping center and is expected to move into the location soon.

from the Feb Gazette

I noticed the sign in the shopping center a week or so ago, but today there was a truck in the parking lot with the name all over it--I'm guessing they've opened?

I guess I'll have to try to swing by sometime (since JPW probably won't be :lol: )

One last time...

Fish = Good. SHELLfish = bad.

I actually use the dry cleaner next door.

Yesterday's pick-up of clean clothes didn't reveal any special activity there, but hopefully they'll be open soon. Whole Paycheck has some nice stuff from time to time, but of course it costs.

While picking up my dry cleaning yesterday, I saw that the door to Upstream was open. Poked my head in and talked to the construction manager. His best guess was opening in 6 weeks.

He seemed very impressed with the owner. The owner is currently the seafood manager at the Silver Spring Giant with 25+ years experience in seafood retail. Has evidently ordered top of the line equipment for everything.

While picking up my dry cleaning yesterday, I saw that the door to Upstream was open. Poked my head in and talked to the construction manager. His best guess was opening in 6 weeks.

He seemed very impressed with the owner. The owner is currently the seafood manager at the Silver Spring Giant with 25+ years experience in seafood retail. Has evidently ordered top of the line equipment for everything.

Thanks for checking in--and keep us posted! This may make me happy as a clam!

As best I can strain my neck when driving by, it looks like it may be open? I'll try to swing by soon, and if not, let me know if you get there first.

Anyone have a recommendation for good fish in Mont.Co., MD?

I’ve been less than impressed with Whole Foods and Balducci's.

Thank you!

Not a recommendation since they haven't opened yet, but Upstream Seafood Market is due to open in S.S. very soon...

Not a recommendation since they haven't opened yet, but Upstream Seafood Market is due to open in S.S. very soon...

Upstream is open as of yesterday Aug. 19. Seems to be pretty good. Wide selection of fresh fish species, sushi being made on the premises (no bar tho), and competitive prices.

It's on Georgia, just south of the beltway (maybe 1/4 mile) behind the Shell station, in the same strip mall with Staples.

Stopped by Upstream yesterday.

They were closed in order to get AC repaired, but promised to reopen today.

Chatted briefly with the owner, Arnold. Seemed like a very nice and knowledgeable guy. Will have to stop by later this week to view the wares.

I bought Mahi-Mahi and crabs on Sunday--both were quite good. Crabs were my first this season, and definitely satisfied my craving!

As per JPW, they were closed yesterday to fix A/C, but are expecting to reopen. I concur, the owner is very nice, and knowledgable.

Mahi-Mahi was fileted that morning, and even though it came in on Friday, it was still very fresh. We breaded and pan-fried it in ghee, and served it with a lime-parsley butter sauce. :P

I will definitely be back during the week soon, so I can see what else they have in store--the lobster special I was told will be on for about a month. I believe he said 8.95/1b.

Stopped in for a look-see yesterday.

Nothing exotic, just lots of good, standard, very fresh fish.

Picked up a whale of a tuna steak that looked like it was still swimming. Arnold (the owner) assured me that it had just come in that morning and had been living the life aquatic just the day before.

A little salt and pepper and a minute or so per side on a blazing hot grill.

Excellent.

Stopped by Upstream yesterday.

They were closed in order to get AC repaired, but promised to reopen today.

Chatted briefly with the owner, Arnold. Seemed like a very nice and knowledgeable guy. Will have to stop by later this week to view the wares.

We got to Upstream last week. Moderate selection of what seemed to be very very fresh goods. We walked out with some swordfish and squid. The swordfish was very good, but the squid was perfect.

We made fried calamari at home for the first time, and it came out so good, we couldn't wait for it to get to the table. We kept burning our fingers eating it just as it came out of the fryer. It was so tender, it was almost creamy.

Upstream is a great little fishmarket, but expensive! The lobster I got there several weeks ago was fantastic, but very pricey. But I suppose it was Maine lobster. Oh well. Maybe I won't get lobster there again froma pure price perspective, but I eagerly await trying some of their other goodies.

Upstream is a great little fishmarket, but expensive! The lobster I got there several weeks ago was fantastic, but very pricey. But I suppose it was Maine lobster. Oh well. Maybe I won't get lobster there again froma pure price perspective, but I eagerly await trying some of their other goodies.

It's definitely not cheap, but the seafood is excellent. It's also blocks from my wife's office. The place that's nearest to our house, River Falls Market, also has excellent seafood, but is even more expensive than Upstream.

FYI...My dry cleaner is right next to Upstream. I went there yesterday and noticed a sign on the door of Upstream indicating that they were undergoing a "financial restructuring" and would be closed indefinitely. It also said they hoped it would be a short term situation.

I can't say I'm too sad about it. People have heard/read me complain about their service. And their prices aren't that great, either.

FYI...My dry cleaner is right next to Upstream. I went there yesterday and noticed a sign on the door of Upstream indicating that they were undergoing a "financial restructuring" and would be closed indefinitely. It also said they hoped it would be a short term situation.

I can't say I'm too sad about it. People have heard/read me complain about their service. And their prices aren't that great, either.

Hmmmm. My reaction to their prices was the same as most others---fairly high. But it's tough to compete on price with the big boys who have efficiencies that the little guy just can't capture. I always wondered whether that location had a client base that would support premium prices, as River Falls has in Potomac.

Generally, for a store like his to last, folks have to be willing to pony up a bit more, and maybe that just wasn't happening often enough for him to make his nut. It did appear he put a lot of money into it up front, and I'm sure his loan payments were daunting.

I'll be surprised if he reopens. Normally, if you're going to successfully "restructure," it will be based on a positive operating cash flow so you would be open. If that isn't happening, the odds get long fast.

Best of luck to him--I hope he makes it.

Hey, xcanuck.

Maybe you can convince your butcher to take a look.

No way, dude. This relationship is healthiest when there's distance. I hate to imagine what my cholesterol readings and bank account balance would look like if he was next door to me. It's bad enough RTC is so close...