Juice Joint Cafe, Downtown - Closed

Inspired by the "rotation" thead, I thought I would start a separate one about the Juice Joint, on Vermont. It is such a contrast to the other take out lunch spots in the area. The food is fresh, healthy, made-to-order, and served with a great attitude.

My favorites are the Holland's pocket (hummus and vegetables - very healthy), Roasted Portabello and Red Pepper Wrap, and That Shrimp Wrap, but I often get one of the specials.

I really wish that there were more places like this in the area (and that they were open for dinner).

When I used to work near there, it was a go to lunch place. Great fresh ingredients. My favorite was the grilled salmon salad with mango salsa. The smoothies and juices are great too. And who couldn't love a place with giant pictures on the walls of fruit sightseeing and skate boarding in DC. :unsure:

I'll be downtown tomorrow with 6-7 other adults and 6-7 children (8 and under). Will this place work? It looks good. What kind of seating is available? Does it get really busy?
It gets really really really busy. There is plenty of seating, but not when it's busy. I wouldn't recommend it for a group that size unless you plan on getting there before noon or after 1:30.

I second BrettAshley - not only does it get really busy, the fact that food is made-to-order means that it is pretty slow (especially if you order something with a hot ingredient). Even if you were getting take-out, I wouldn't be surprised if that large a group ended up standing around for half an hour (in a relatively small space) before everyone had his or her food.

Well, we all walked to Vermont Ave after hitting the National Geographic Museum's Frog Exhibit and everyone got stuff to go from the various establishments on that block. My family and my parents went to Juice Joint and everyone else went to Quiznos. We ate in McPherson Square.

We got there a few minutes before noon and just beat the rush. I had the Gobbler Wrap with the chili tortilla. Loved it. I especially liked the raspberry/pear sauce. Wife ordered a chicken and fennel wrap from the specials with the spinach tortilla. I had a bite and I really liked it. She mentioned how good it was several times during the day.

Glad to know about this place and I'll be going again whenever I find myself in the area.

I like how they have the amino acid substitute available for those who have celiacs but like the soy sauce flavor.

The Grandwich is a nice go-to sandwich ($6.25), much like the pseudo-California sandwiches, but without the turkey. An avocado, tomato, cucumber & sprouts on toasted multi-grain bread can leave anyone feeling more energized.

The vegetarian chili wasn't so much the case for my friend, who ended up sharing half of my sandwich, but she really enjoyed the 24 Karat carrot juice.

I have enjoyed smoothies here in the past too. Am glad there are a few health options around here. Including a vegan brownie, I think!