Jimi Hendrix (1942-1970) - Psychydelic Rock Electric Guitarist Active In The Late 1960s

dcs

I wonder how many people actually realize he was born in Seattle and used to work at the Four Seasons in Baltimore.

Probably about the same number of people who realize that Jimi Hendrix was born in Seattle and used to play in Little Richard's backing band.

To the extent that one can actually understand what Little Richard is trying to say in that clip, I think he is being a bit disingenuous.  As I understand it, he fired Jimi at least in part because he felt Hendrix was upstaging him.

The National Archives has Hendrix's military service records. Here's a quote from Archives.gov:

Hendrix's interest in guitar seems to have taken precedence over any commitment to military service. "Pvt Hendrix plays a musical instrument during his off duty hours, or so he says," declares one Sgt. Louis Hoekstra. "This is one of his faults, because his mind apparently cannot function while performing duties and thinking about his guitar." A training record from July 1961 shows Hendrix at the bottom of the heap in marksmanship"”ranked 36th out of a group of 36. While he may have been right on the mark with a guitar, with a rifle he was not even close. (http://www.archives.gov/publications/prologue/2006/spring/vips-military.html)

And his enlistment questionnaire: http://go.usa.gov/Au5F

Batali's father, Armand, runs a nice salumi operation in Seattle.  I occasionally score a sausage from him through Heritage Foods USA.

And did you know that Jimi was a paratrooper in the Army -- after playing with Little Richard

Armandino is the man! I had the honor of him joining us at our table for lunch at Salumi a few years ago.

Here's another Hendrix gem-- he opened for the Monkeys!   :blink:

Armandino is the man! I had the honor of him joining us at our table for lunch at Salumi a few years ago.

Here's another Hendrix gem-- he opened for the Monkeys!   :blink:

Correct, on his first U.S. Tour as the Experience, but we should not forget that, back then, the Monkees were practically as big as the Beatles -- Hey, Hey! [sorry for the off-topicnish of this comment]

Back before the Internet-as-you-know-it, we used to discuss the best-sounding versions of CDs on Usenet forums, which is how one ends up with a pile of versions of Pink Floyd's DSOTM after repeat visits to Phantasmagoria, and the import section of Tower Records.  No doubt, this was simply an extension of what had been going on since the invention of vinyl discs, and maybe back to wax cylinders and player piano rolls.

Nice to see that a quarter-century later, some things haven't changed (in this context, _Electric Ladyland_):

Steve Hoffman's Forum

Note that this post was from 2004, and some folks seem to feel the '06-07 releases are contenders.