The dining guide only has Nutter's listed, not something I'm likely to crave during the first week of November. :P Does anyone know of any restaurants that are worth a visit, preferably for carryout? I'll be staying in a home right in downtown for a week and would like to not have to cook dinner once or twice (or drive to get it). Thanks!

The dining guide only has Nutter's listed, not something I'm likely to crave during the first week of November. :P Does anyone know of any restaurants that are worth a visit, preferably for carryout? I'll be staying in a home right in downtown for a week and would like to not have to cook dinner once or twice (or drive to get it). Thanks!

It's only 14 miles to Shmankerl Stube in Hagerstown. :)

It's only 14 miles to Shmankerl Stube in Hagerstown. :)

Smart minds. I thought of it - I'm up there for a course at a facility in Fairplay, which is just south of the outlets, but I grabbed dinner there a few years ago and was a bit underwhelmed. Not sure what it's like these days.

Especially because of my schedule though, I was holding out hope Sharpsburg offered something decent so I could just walk out my front door. :)

Some years ago, when I worked at the Dept. of Veterans Affairs, I had a crew of people working for me in Martinsburg, WV. The VA Medical Center in Martinsburg was quite nice, owing mostly to Senator Byrd's desire to move the Federal Government to West Virginia, one agency at a time. I visited that medical center often because my crew had offices on the facility, and I was taken on tours of the former German WWII barracks areas that were converted for use by the VA. I learned that after WWII, many of these prisoners chose to remain in the area, which is a long way of getting to the Bavarian Inn in Shepardstown, a mere 4 miles from Sharpsburg.

Don't go looking for fine dining at the Bavarian Inn, but if a decently-prepared schnitzel or a juicy wurst accompanied by a beer is what you're hankering for, you could certainly do worse.

• Like 2

Because I have relatives living in Boonsboro and because I am interested in the Battle of Antietam, I've been going to Sharpsburg for many years.  You have very few choices in the town.  The only place I've been is Captain Bender's on Main St.  The beer is reasonably priced and I thought the burger was decent.  Staff and patrons are friendly.  Over the years, they've tried to go beyond sports bar cuisine but I've yet to try those items.  I'm sure they would pack food to go.

Not for a meal (unless you're me) but a place I recommend unreservedly, is Burkholder's on High St.  It's a Mennonite bakery and they make the best donuts I've ever eaten.  They also make pies, breads, whoopee pies, pepperoni rolls, and cookies.  They sell milk and other dairy products from nearby farms.

• Like 1

Because I have relatives living in Boonsboro and because I am interested in the Battle of Antietam, I've been going to Sharpsburg for many years.  You have very few choices in the town.  The only place I've been is Captain Bender's on Main St.  The beer is reasonably priced and I thought the burger was decent.  Staff and patrons are friendly.  Over the years, they've tried to go beyond sports bar cuisine but I've yet to try those items.  I'm sure they would pack food to go.

Not for a meal (unless you're me) but a place I recommend unreservedly, is Burkholder's on High St.  It's a Mennonite bakery and they make the best donuts I've ever eaten.  They also make pies, breads, whoopee pies, pepperoni rolls, and cookies.  They sell milk and other dairy products from nearby farms.

Thank you. After a look around good old Yelp I had basically come to the conclusion that it was a burger from Captain Bender's or nothing. So it will likely be nothing. :P

I do have friends possibly coming to visit Sat night and wanted to do a takeout option. She's a vegetarian so I was looking at Blue Moon Cafe, I think it was in Boonsboro since it seemed like it had a lot of options for her. Any feedback on that place? It seemed like there might be some other good options in the other direction, but not as ideal for carryout.

I'm not aware of a Blue Moon Café being in Boonsboro.  Are you sure it's not in Shepherdstown?  If you're willing to go to Shepherdstown, you have lots of options.

Not much in Boonsboro.  My niece is unimpressed with Vesta, the Italian restaurant that I think is owned by Nora Roberts.  There's a pub across the street from it http://drnth.com/ that I've ignored.  But because of your query, I Iooked it up and the beer list is very interesting.  I'm going to check it out.  Thanks!

I'm not aware of a Blue Moon Café being in Boonsboro.  Are you sure it's not in Shepherdstown?  If you're willing to go to Shepherdstown, you have lots of options.

Not much in Boonsboro.  My niece is unimpressed with Vesta, the Italian restaurant that I think is owned by Nora Roberts.  There's a pub across the street from it http://drnth.com/ that I've ignored.  But because of your query, I Iooked it up and the beer list is very interesting.  I'm going to check it out.  Thanks!

Old South Mountain Inn is incredibly scenic.

Yes indeedy, I did mean Shepherdstown. I probably confused myself since I checked out Dan's Taphouse in Boonsboro. That looks promising as a grab a beer and a burger spot, but not for our takeout/vegetarian purposes so much.

The struggle to find good food in Sharpsburg is real! Heck, there isn't even a grocery store. I ended up getting a burger from Bender's one night when I really wasn't up for another night of leftovers. I had read a Yelp review from someone who said he had to rush to the bathroom before he even finished his meal because the food made him sick. I remeber thinking the guy had it wrong because you don't get food poisoning that fast. Not foot poisoning, but something is up with that place. I wish I had paid heed to that review now.

On a lighter note, I didn't think I'd want ice cream in November but on my way our of town I couldn't resist and pulled over as I passed Nutter's. The pumpkin ice cream was a perfect way to justify it and it was indeed delicious.

Unfortunately the recommended amish bakery was closed today so I couldn't check it out.

I enjoyed the house I stayed in and the location was perfect for my needs, but man did it reinforce that I don't want to live in such a tiny town. The first thing I did once back was order good carryout. :P