Pre-Theater Dining for Olney Theatre Centre

SRJ

Looking for restaurant options before or after a show at the Olney Theatre Centre. Something with a lively but old-fashioned atmosphere is preferable. We'd also like to avoid anything in a commercial strip mall. Has the Olney Ale House improved at all? I think the Brookeville Inn might be too boring for us. Are there any other options to consider? Any nationality of food is fine. We'll be traveling west from Greenbelt, going up 95 to the Intercounty Connector, so anything along the way would be welcome even if it's a diversion.

You can't avoid strip malls in Olney- it is how the area was developed. If you can get past the parking situation, the best restaurants in Olney are Grill Marx (steakhouse), Sardi's Fusion (Peruvian) and Cava Mezze (mediterranean.) All 3 are quite nice inside, not suggesting of a stip mall- particularly Grill Marx. I would not recommend the Olney Ale House. I have not heard of any improvement. If you want something fit for an obnoxious show on the food network- Corned Beef King is based out of the Exxon in Olney and quite good for the obvious.

• Like 1

I think Grill Marx is crazy overpriced for Outback-quality steaks, and Olney Ale House hasn't changed in 20 years (still bad).

Sardi's and Cava are good choices there.

Honestly, I usually eat in Rockville before heading east to Olney. Coming from Greenbelt, I'd stop in Beltsville/Laurel rather than eating in Olney.

Thanks for responding so quickly, ALB. Peruvian at Sardi's sounds great. Excellent suggestion. The only other option I was thinking about is Ricciuti's. You sound like you're from the area, do you know much about Ricciuti's? Regular old Italian sounds a little dull now that you have me thinking about Peruvian, but I know they have a fireplace.

You are welcome SRJ! I rarely have much I can contribute on this board but Olney I know :)  I live in Columbia now, but I am from Olney and my parents still live there. I haven't been to Ricuitti's in about 10 years, so I'm sorry I can't say for comparison. Sardi's is by far my favorite restaurant in Olney now. Definitely stick to the Peruvian dishes on the menu (the chef used to be the chef of the Peruvian embassy)- my favorite is the arroz con mariscos. I also really like  the lomo saltado and aji de gallina- and the ceviches. I know people who have gone and ordered grilled chicken dishes and walked away disappointed. Call and ask about reservations- it can get busy, though you'll be going early for the show.

Daniel K- On Grill Marx, I am probably not the most educated judge of meat, but I've had steaks, soups and sides I've enjoyed there. I also wasn't paying the bill at the time, but my whole group has had nice meals with good service. For those of us who have lived in Olney since the 80s/90s, I think it is incredible we have these dining options at all in Olney and every time we go there we think- who would have predicted $30 steaks being served here.

• Like 1

Looking for restaurant options before or after a show at the Olney Theatre Centre. Something with a lively but old-fashioned atmosphere is preferable. We'd also like to avoid anything in a commercial strip mall. Has the Olney Ale House improved at all? I think the Brookeville Inn might be too boring for us. Are there any other options to consider? Any nationality of food is fine. We'll be traveling west from Greenbelt, going up 95 to the Intercounty Connector, so anything along the way would be welcome even if it's a diversion.

This won't help you much, but here's the Dining in Olney thread. dinwiddie is pretty much the Mayor of Olney, and I would try to get ahold of him.

I had been going to the Olney Ale House since I was a kid, but I suspect I'll never go again, because I want to preserve the memory of the last time I was there, with my mom - the beef stew was *so bad* that I said it tasted like "dog food" on the way home, and we both began one of those contagious, non-stop, gut-laughs that lasted about fifteen minutes - neither one of us could stop laughing. It may sound silly, but that's a precious memory to me.

Columbia! What a coincidence. I was just thinking about going to this staged reading for a play about the history of Columbia on Sunday. If you haven't done it yet,  you should go and give them some of your local knowledge.

Sounds interesting! I just moved to Columbia in December from Silver Spring, (to be closer to work and it is much more affordable.) Sounds like a great learing experience.

Sorry to chime in so late, but for what it is worth.

GrillMarx is OK, loud however, and somewhat overpriced.  The steaks are as DanielK said, Outback quality at a much higher price.  They do, however, have a raw bar, and it too is overpriced but fresh. Decent winelist.

I have not been to Sardi's since it changed names and concepts.  However when it was Taste Meze I found it to be loud and the food oversalted at times, at other times the food was very good.

Ricutti's is more than just pizza, and the pizza is very good if you like that style (wood fired but expensive).  However, some of their other menu items can be very good and they have a decent wine list.

Olney Ale House is always packed, they have a pretty good beer list, and it is just what it advertises, an ale house.  Nothing fancy but the sandwich are pretty good, and when they have the oyster specials (60 cents each) it is a very good deal.  They make a pretty good fish and chips and my wife enjoys one of their salads.  I wouldn't expect fine dining, but it has been in business for a long time because it does what it does well.