Shirley Horn (1934-2005), Legendary Washington, DC Jazz and Blues Singer

mr food

4 hours ago, Escoffier said:

The singer in residence in that "divey live music bar" was Shirley Horn and if you don't know who she is, she was one of the finest jazz and blues singers who ever came out of the DC area.  Completely unappreciated while alive and now almost forgotten, I'd suggest you get one of her albums (You Won't Forget Me or Close Enough For Love come to mind) and give it a listen.  Pardon the digression but I was friends with the lady and I'd hate to see her legacy die.

Her live album from the Monterey jazz fest is also excellent. Truly a great artist.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tweaked said:

The divey live music bar was Zig's Bar and Grill (and that took a lot of sleuthing to find!).  Looks like the owner is/was affiliated with the Comedy Zone DC.

Can't find any confirmation that Shirley Horn was the singer in residence at Zig's

Unfortunately it was at the end of her career.  She was having health problems.  She was the unofficial singer in residence for about a month (mostly on Saturday nights so it wasn't exactly a permanent gig).  While she was growing old, her voice was still an amazing thing to hear. She was there because she had another falling out with her management.  I'd say it was for the money but that would be conjecture on my part (even though it probably was).  Again, pardon the digression. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Escoffier said:

The singer in residence in that "divey live music bar" was Shirley Horn and if you don't know who she is, she was one of the finest jazz and blues singers who ever came out of the DC area.  Completely unappreciated while alive and now almost forgotten, I'd suggest you get one of her albums (You Won't Forget Me or Close Enough For Love come to mind) and give it a listen.  Pardon the digression but I was friends with the lady and I'd hate to see her legacy die.

The question is: Unappreciated by *whom*? "You Won't Forget Me" was a collaboration with Miles Davis, Wynton Marsalis, and 
Branford Marsalis, among other of their peers - that's about as big a compliment as a singer can receive. She also had three #1 albums on the Billboard Jazz Chart, and won a Grammy Award

White people might not have her as a household name, but as Horn herself said when people were trying to make her into a pop singer, "I will not stoop to conquer."

Ms. Horn (gosh I want to call her Shirley, but Ms. Horn it will be) is buried at the Fort Lincoln Cemetery in DC, should anyone wish to go pay their respects.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DonRocks said:

The question is: Unappreciated by *whom*? "You Won't Forget Me" was a collaboration with Miles Davis, Wynton Marsalis, and 
Branford Marsalis, among other of their peers - that's about as big a compliment as a singer can receive. She also had three #1 albums on the Billboard Jazz Chart, and won a Grammy Award

White people might not have her as a household name, but as Horn herself said when people were trying to make her into a pop singer, "I will not stoop to conquer."

Ms. Horn (gosh I want to call her Shirley, but Ms. Horn it will be) is buried at the Fort Lincoln Cemetery in DC, should anyone wish to go pay their respects.

Much appreciated by the cognoscenti, unfortunately she never received the recognition that singers like Sarah Vaughan, Lena Horne, and Nina Simone received.  She was indeed a jazz purist to the end and I feel lucky to have known her even for the short time I did.