Dining on Bastille Day

CrescentFresh

Went to Lavandou in Cleveland Park last Bastille Day, which was a big mistake. They had an all you can eat musselfest and the mussels were delicious. Except it took over an hour every time you wanted another batch! We had to order more wine to pass the time until our mussels came and we drank much more than we normally would have. (I know there's a problem with that somewhere......)

Anyway, I got an email earlier today from them announcing their Bastille Day menu this year. That was followed a short time later by a "Rectification" email that I think is quite funny. The text follows:

Dear Guests,

In the previous email we sent you, the price for the Bastille Day Menu was wrong. It would be $35 and not $29. Also, Bastille Day is on July 14th. The menu will be also available on the July 11, 12 and 13. You can look at the menu at: http://www.lavandourestaurant.net/bastille05.html

We do apologize for any inconvenience,

Bon Appetit

Lavandou Restaurant

www.lavandourestaurant.net

BdC is always a fun time on Bastille Day. I would venture to guess a little more raucous than Lavandou. By the way, I was at the bar last night and they were out of the Meursault, Genevrieres, 1er cru, 2001 that Johnny Rooks had mentioned. (wonder if he drank it all?) Had a couple of glasses of a nice Sancerre though.

Go late. That's the trick.

Are you going late Mark? Look for me then and we can share a drink.

Who else is going to BdC and what time? I am not eating there this year. We are having fois gras and cheese my place then heading over around 11PM.

Look for three solo guys, one tall dark and handsome, one limping around, and an impecciably dresses French/Cameronian.

Are you going late Mark?  Look for me then and we can share a drink.

Who else is going to BdC and what time?  I am not eating there this year.  We are having fois gras and cheese my place then heading over around 11PM.

Look for three solo guys, one tall dark and handsome, one limping around, and an impecciably dresses French/Cameronian.

i am having a late dinner at l'enfant cafe then heading to bdc around the same time. will be in the cream suit.

I'm heading to Montmartre for dinner. Not sure if there are any special Bastille Day events planned, but I'll report back tomorrow.

It's my first visit there, although I've heard lots of great things about it from friends. Anyone have any recommendations of dishes not to be missed?

post-348-1121359087_thumb.gif

I'm heading to Montmartre for dinner.  Not sure if there are any special Bastille Day events planned, but I'll report back tomorrow.

It's my first visit there, although I've heard lots of great things about it from friends.  Anyone have any recommendations of dishes not to be missed?

post-348-1121359087_thumb.gif

if the black squid ink risotto is still on the menu - do not skip it. simply an excercise in simple elegance.

Thanks - I'll keep an eye out for it (and keep my cell phone turned off :P )

if the black squid ink risotto is still on the menu - do not skip it. simply an excercise in simple elegance

Unfortunately the squid ink risotto wasn't on the menu - BUT - they did have a lovely green pea risotto served over a carrot sauce and topped with the most wonderful seared scallops, not overcooked, just perfect. The risotto may have had just a wee bit too much bite, but was tasty nonetheless.

My friends also enjoyed seafood - one ordered the cod fillet which was served with a mango guacamole and sweet red onions, the other tried the monkfish special which came with some underwhelming gnocchi (of course not everywhere can have gnocchi like Eve's...) and an eggplant mousse that was sort of an odd foam/sauce. It was a rather unappealing color - sort of brownish purple (eggplant, makes sense) - but tasted good - an eggplant/balsamic blend.

We started with a shared beet salad, nicely divided into 2 servings for us - tasty herbed goat cheese 'footballs' and golden beets. The saumon tartare was nicely seasoned with capers and dill.

My one complaint was that the wine we ordered (a white Cote du Rhones) wasn't put on ice (the first bottle) and when I asked if the second one could be chilled it was whisked away and it took quite a while for it to reappear when we asked for refills.

The berry tart (again, shared) for dessert was lovely - beautiful raspberries and blackberries on top of a frangipane (I believe) filling.

An enjoyable first visit - I will be back.

Edited by goldenticket