The Source vs. Casa Luca - Missing Hong Kong, but Wanting a Good Restaurant

Pool Boy

These two restaurants have almost nothing in common. My wife and I were recently on a brief eight and a half day odyssey to Hong Kong and back and she has the post-vacation blues of the Hong Kong-fare cuisine type in a bad way.

So....we're considering dinner out this weekend. After skimming the available slots in various online ressies, and knowing our tastes, and knowing how terribly she is crazing upper middle to upper end Chinese cuisine, we've made ressies at The Source. But the other compelling place that we also love is Casa Luca. Completely different planes of existence I know. Part of the draw of *just dining out* is that it is one of the things we both regularly and completely crave is alone time where we just focus on each other and not all of the rest that makes up your life. FRanted, we just got back from vacation, but it is a rude reality to come back and have to work immediately and this is a step to easing that transition.

So....go for more of the similar in the form of The Source or go instead for something else we love in the form of Casa Luca. Thoughts?

14 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Since when does the Source make high end Hong Kong cuisine? They makes expensive fusion food.

I agree, but the thing I think my wife was looking for was something to scratch a bit of the itch of what we had in Hong Kong. A lot of what we had there was traditional or modern Cantonese Later in the trip, we dined at two more 'hipster' places where the edges of different styles of Chinese cuisine merged at least a smidge with not-Chinese cuisine. That all being said, we're not going to get anything like that here. But my one experience at The Source some years ago, it felt high-er end, if not high end.

In any event, after sleeping on it, my wife this morning decided she did not want to mar the recent experiences we had in Hong Kong with something that we already know is not going to be approaching what we had, here - so we'll hit up Casa Luca after all. Thanks.

3 minutes ago, Pool Boy said:

I agree, but the thing I think my wife was looking for was something to scratch a bit of the itch of what we had in Hong Kong. A lot of what we had there was traditional or modern Cantonese Later in the trip, we dined at two more 'hipster' places where the edges of different styles of Chinese cuisine merged at least a smidge with not-Chinese cuisine. That all being said, we're not going to get anything like that here. But my one experience at The Source some years ago, it felt high-er end, if not high end.

In any event, after sleeping on it, my wife this morning decided she did not want to mar the recent experiences we had in Hong Kong with something that we already know is not going to be approaching what we had, here - so we'll hit up Casa Luca after all. Thanks.

I just saw this, and after reading your first post, figured you'd answer your own question - Casa Luca is a better restaurant, but it won't scratch your Pan-Asian itch, so it's really what you're in the mood for.