Mumbo Sauce

Don, I saw this discussion in the Shopping and Cooking topic, but I thought my taste test might merit its own discussion in the Restaurants and Dining topic. As always, I defer to your expertise if you think this post should be shuffled elsewhere.

This coming weekend, inspired by this video and article, some friends and I are heading out to compare several versions of mumbo/mambo sauce.

I made a map of 11 restaurants and plotted a course that will hit 7 of them in about 4 miles of walking, weather permitting: http://bit.ly/mumbomap

I also made a simple scorecard that you're free to use: http://bit.ly/mumbodoc

Of course I'll share the results once we complete the taste test, but I wanted to check with the group to see if I missed any places, can improve the scorecard, or if you have any general advice for how to best enjoy this local specialty.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Funny thing about mambo sauce -- the only place I've ever had it was way the heck out in Hamilton VA, at the late, lamented Planet Wayside, the first eatery featured in the WaPo's late, lamented Crummy, But Good feature. It was great as an accompaniment to PW's awesome potatoes.

Now that we have a BonChon, no need for me to venture to a bulletproof-glass place (did enough of that in college too).

15 hours ago, DanielK said:

were the wings themselves flavored/marinated at any of the places, beyond salt and pepper in the batter?

If there was any additional seasoning/marinade, it was very minimal - some (most?) places didn't even seem to use much of a batter beyond flour. Henry's (top right above) had the most substantial batter and complex seasoning, but even that was fairly subtle.

• Like 2

On 9/18/2017 at 3:20 PM, jeffmhunt said:

This coming weekend, inspired by this video and article, some friends and I are heading out to compare several versions of mumbo/mambo sauce.
Of course I'll share the results once we complete the taste test, but I wanted to check with the group to see if I missed any places, can improve the scorecard, or if you have any general advice for how to best enjoy this local specialty.

I think you should call yourselves "The Mumbo Wings."

(I read the 1989 novel, "The Mambo Kings Play Songs of Love" - purely because of the amazing cover. It was pretty close to being *terrible*, and I can't believe it won the Pulitzer Prize that year; I couldn't bear to see the film.)

• Haha 1