DonRocks

Zion Williamson (2000-) - Duke-Bound All-American Basketball Player, with the Height of a Guard, and the Weight of a Center

He played in his first college game on Election night;  a game between then #4 ranked Duke vs then #2 ranked Kentucky.   Duke simply crushed Kentucky.    Didn't watch the game but did see highlights.   My gut is that when Williamson drives defenders will part ways like the Red Sea.  I don't think too many defenders will want to take a charge.

Some highlights from that Duke romp including the very instagram friendly Williamson:

If you think basketball or college basketball is entertainment worthy you may want to watch Zion Williamson of Duke.  I don’t recall seeing anyone as stunning as him in an absurdly long time, and he is just a freshman headed to the pro’s next season.   The most fearsome jaw dropping rampaging example of a big thick very strong guy racing coast to Coast and slam dunking was Charles Barkley.  Nobody ever did it quite like him.  This isn’t quite there—but it’s very close.  Zion is must see TV

1 hour ago, DaveO said:

If you think basketball or college basketball is entertainment worthy you may want to watch Zion Williamson of Duke.  I don’t recall seeing anyone as stunning as him in an absurdly long time, and he is just a freshman headed to the pro’s next season.   The most fearsome jaw dropping rampaging example of a big thick very strong guy racing coast to Coast and slam dunking was Charles Barkley.  Nobody ever did it quite like him.  This isn’t quite there—but it’s very close.  Zion is must see TV

Coast to coast with his left, then finishes with the right. I don't watch college basketball (or much pro), but I've tuned in when this guy is playing.  He's a complete freak of nature - and incredibly fun to watch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zgast said:

He's a complete freak of nature - and incredibly fun to watch.

That 2 Handed block  at the basket was great athleticism, excellent hustle and very aware basketball.

(Now for an entirely different type of freak of nature:  the longevity, fullness and remarkable rigidness of Jimmy Johnson’s head of hair, possibly celebrating 2 decades of NFL commentary)

If a single strand of hair moved as a result of the regular time tie, I’d be astounded

• Haha 1

I watched that game.  The Dukies had great 3 pt shooting early in the game and another stretch of great 3 pt shooting in the second half.  They took an early lead and held on throughout.  Meanwhile for most of the game they played Williamson down low and the Virginia defense was pretty tough on him.  He didn't get lots of shots.

Plays like the above are amazing.  At the start Williamson is on the other side of the basket towards the free throw line.  He sees the ball movement, rotates across the court and makes that incredible block.  Geez he was sky high.  Meanwhile I wonder about blocks like that.  They are crowd pleasers and  psyche your teammates.  Yet Virginia gets the ball back. If they scored on the next possession--the block does not add to the final score or outcome.  

Better to block the shot like Bill Russell and Bill Walton always tried to do.  Block the shot and keep possession.  OTOH--plays like Williamson makes are basketball Eye Candy

• Like 1