Sunday Dinner near the Kennedy Center

Choirgirl21

This has probably been asked many times before, but looking for a place for dinner on a Sunday after an afternoon performance of Hamilton. Hosting a friend who is in town. There will be 4 of us, all "foodies" with virtually no restrictions except I'd like to not totally break the bank (especially after paying for Hamilton!) and my visiting friend is a vegetarian.

I was thinking about the Rasika in West End. Shameful, but I've never actually been to Rasika and I thought it would provide a lot of good vegetarian options. But, after reading recent reviews I am worried my friend, who happens to be Indian, will be unimpressed. Thoughts, or other suggestions? Thanks!

17 hours ago, olivelady said:

Rasika West End is a great choice.

I highly recommend the palak chaat. Even if you think you don't like spinach, try it.  You'll be a huge fan.

Hmm ... should I, or shouldn't I?

Yeah, I probably should.

Look for it within a few days.

23 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

Jen, do not dine anywhere *at* the Kennedy Center - it is positively abysmal, regardless of where you go (and my most recent experience at *all* their restaurants was just a few weeks ago).

If you must, try the turkey or ham sandwiches at the bars in the large lobby outside the performance spaces (I believe they are called "Grand Foyer Bars").  They really are not bad, and are relatively cheap.  They pair well with a glass of wine (half price during an all-too- brief happy hour) and a seat on the terrace overlooking the mighty Potomac.  Or at least they would if it ever stopped raining.......

13 minutes ago, dcs said:

If you must, try the turkey or ham sandwiches at the bars in the large lobby outside the performance spaces (I believe they are called "Grand Foyer Bars").  They really are not bad, and are relatively cheap.  They pair well with a glass of wine (half price during an all-too- brief happy hour) and a seat on the terrace overlooking the mighty Potomac.  Or at least they would if it ever stopped raining.......

You're talking about the kiosks, right? Yes, that's the *exact* same food that they serve in the casual cafe upstairs, probably for less money. The Kennedy Center is a "food service" place, even in their main restaurant, so they get all of their product from a place like Aramark. 

If anyone does try and dine at the Kennedy Center, make *sure* you have a reservation if all three theaters are active; otherwise, you're going to be eating somewhere while standing up.

When I was there, trying to eat something was like a Marx Brothers comedy. At the end, we were sitting on a stoop somewhere on the top floor, eating a ham sandwich, and drinking a $9 plastic cup of Gruner Veltliner that came out of a tap. This, after an hour of trying to find a seat ... anywhere ... it was truly comical.

So I failed to include that this is for this Sunday. I didnt realize reservations at Rasika were difficult so that's off of our list. :( Any other suggestions? We are meeting 2 friends coming from VA, but I have to drive back to MD so I'm trying to avoid having to venture too far away. I was hoping to just leave my car at the Kennedy Center and walk or take a quick Lyft to dinner. A friend recommended Circa or District Commons?

Brian Wolken (from Willow) is currently running at Campono, also in the Watergate - I can't guarantee he'll be working on a Sunday, and I don't think he cooks there, although I'm not sure about that.

Believe me, when I went to Rossini's "The Barber of Seville" a few weeks ago, I *really* wish we had gone there - if all three theaters are full, don't even think of eating at the Kennedy Center - take it from someone who learned the hard way.

Incidentally, they were professionally recording that opera - the baritone who played Figaro is a singer from Moldova, and was absolutely world-class. At the end of the opera, the entire cast put on Nationals caps - they're going to be showing this later this year at Nationals Park, on a big screen - it was a fine performance, and should be a great time for the casual and the curious. Why not? This and "La Traviata" get my vote as the Greatest Two Starter Operas there are, and in a ballpark setting, Barber would be the better of the two because it's funny as hell, one of the very few operas that can actually make you laugh.

True story: Beethoven met Rossini once, and his guidance to him was this: "Write more Barbers."

• Like 1