Wayne Rooney's Remarkable, Unprecedented Seven Seconds for DC United

DaveO

49 minutes ago, dracisk said:

I guess Wayne Rooney isn't resting on his laurels. I can't believe Acosta is only 5'3"! What's that sports bra type garment he was wearing under his jersey??

GPS tracker, heart rate monitor, etc. All of the players wear them today, to track their fitness, efficiency, etc. It's all about the data. I'm not sure all of them wear sports bras to hold them, though.

I was at the game (I have had season tickets for 23 seasons, I'm at ALL the games). It was even crazier live than it was on TV.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, DanielK said:

I was at the game (I have had season tickets for 23 seasons, I'm at ALL the games). It was even crazier live than it was on TV.

That is great.  How do you like the stadium?

Time to get over there.

Gee: Each goal was terrific.  The first with that sweet little pass from Rooney and a blast of a shot.  The 2nd wherein Acosta is a courageous tough little dude.  He was smashed by a guy twice his size.

Oooh:  the third;  I think Rooney spotted Acosta and gave him a beauty of a lead.  The taller defender was backing and recovering and missed the head.   Meanwhile, this is Monday Morning quarterbacking but I think the goalie blew it by not racing to the ball and punching it away.  Goalie was stuck in never land half way between the head shot and the goal.  

Very skillful and exciting

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DanielK said:

P.S. If any member here wants to go to a game, send me a PM. After this weekend both of my kids are away at college, and my wife is happy going to just a few games a year. There are NINE remaining home games between 29-Aug and 21-Oct.

Edited to add: Stadium is gorgeous, and the food is better than it has any right to be.

• Like 1

The video doesn't show it clearly, but at the 1:28 mark you'll notice a player in white tumbling to the ground.  That's because Acosta stuck out his leg and tripped him up as he was running past.  Acosta makes special plays, but boy, can he be cheap.

26 minutes ago, Tweaked said:

The video doesn't show it clearly, but at the 1:28 mark you'll notice a player in white tumbling to the ground.  That's because Acosta stuck out his leg and tripped him up as he was running past.  Acosta makes special plays, but boy, can he be cheap.

...and so can many others. 

Still the Rooney play was so unbelievable.  For those who watch a lot--How often do you see a goalie pulled into the offense and all 11 players deep into the other team's 1/3 of the field.  Admittedly I don't watch much...but I never see it.

Rooney's long long race to catch up to the Orlando player and ball, then block the shot was the sports equivalence of heroism.  Amazing.  He recovered quickly, brought the ball downfield.  He kept looking up surveying the field toward the goal.  That effort inspires everyone!!

At my best I could not have pinpointed a long pass like he did.  Others with more skill can.  Terrific pass into an  open area with a teammate. 

Acosta can be cheap.  Hmmmm.   Lots of cheap plays in the game all 90 minutes long by lots of players.  Hate to admit some of the stupid things I did.

• Like 1

oh, not taking away from Rooney's effort, that was inspired.

Acosta is just one of those players who can be brilliant one minute and then turn around and do something boneheaded the next. 

There's a long history of "mad genius" players in soccer.

• Like 1