Takeshi Sushi and Ramen, Japanese on Wilson Blvd and N. Barton St. in Courthouse

Takeshi Sushi and Ramen has had a soft opening in Courthouse, at the corner of Wilson and Barton (under Rooftop and next to Delhi Dhaba), where the Subway was for years.  We are likely to be regular customers for their terrific tonkatsu ramen.

They have not had their official opening yet, so for example, their soda machine had not been delivered yet as of last night (though originally it was supposed to have been there last week, they told us, but the vendor changed the dates at the last minute).  They do not have a sign up yet with their name, though you can see Japanese lanterns in the window.  According to Arlnow, they will be adding more dishes by the time of their grand opening sometime in June.  Currently, the menu has multiple ramen options, some don options (fish or meat or vegetable on top of rice), and a page of sushi options. 

We had excellent ramen there last night. I had the shoyu ramen as I wanted something very light last night, and it was excellent.  The abundant noodles were very good and springy and the broth was light and very tasty. Although I ordered chicken shoyu ramen, they asked if I wanted to try some pork as well, and the pork they put in was so good (better than the chicken pieces, which were perfectly good, but couldn't match the rich flavor of the pork).  The toppings included a very nice soft-boiled egg (I think cured or marinated), scallions, a fish cake with a pink swirl on top (I liked it though I wasn't sure what it was at the time - I've had them before in ramen but never looked up what they were - after googling I think it was narutomaki), corn (I wondered if that was a gesture to American palates, but looked up ramen toppings afterwards and it looks like they're often used in Japan), and pieces of lettuce or cabbage (that seemed unusual to me and I didn't end up eating them, but again I see on looking it up that cabbage is not an uncommon topping in Japan).  From the pictures on yelp, it looks like they sometimes have microgreens on top.  My husband had the tonkotsu ramen, which is what I tend to order at ramen places, and it was outstanding, creamy and rich and flavorful and delicious. I will get that next time and we are definitely going back.  We both tipped our bowls to get the last of our broths.

They asked if we wanted our ramen spicy, and neither of us eat spicy food (I eat a little spicy food but not last night), so we declined. Another customer got the spicy ramen and they asked him how spicy - he said medium this time and he'll see if next time he wants more.

That customer also got some avocado-topped sushi. I must admit that for sushi, I will not be your reviewer, as I am not a raw fish eater and generally stick with Boston rolls (which they have on their menu), eel (which they have), other rolls with cooked shrimp/crab/lobster, and tamago. But I hope to go with a friend who loves sushi and hear what she says.

The owner or manager was friendly and chatted with us a bit, and told us that the chef had trained to make ramen (and sushi, I think) in Japan.  The owner and chef apparently moved here from Japan not that long ago, and this is their first restaurant in America.

https://www.arlnow.com/2019/05/24/takeshi-sushi-and-ramen-now-open-in-courthouse/

• Like 1

@Genevieve  Thanks for the reference.  I had their sushi the other day, during its first few days of operation but have not had the ramen.  I will give it a go.  Nice review.

This was the reference when I wrote about "Your Restaurant Lease" 

The landlord absolutely "snookered" the tenant on signage.  The tenant acknowledged it in those first few days.  Great signage is worth $$$. 

I'll be back to try the Ramen.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2019 at 6:50 PM, Genevieve said:

Takeshi Sushi and Ramen has had a soft opening in Courthouse, at the corner of Wilson and Barton (under Rooftop and next to Delhi Dhaba), where the Subway was for years.  We are likely to be regular customers for their terrific tonkatsu ramen.

Finally got around to the ramen.  It was quite good and I'd simply repeat what was said above.  I'll be back.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Genevieve said:

We've been back twice more already. Such good ramen. The last time I had it, it didn't have the lettuce (which I was happy about), and did have strips of black mushrooms, which I was delighted to eat. 

Different ramen houses tend to have different "bests" - what is your favorite that you've tried at Takeshi? And can you find a website for them?

In the general Ramen thread, it would be interesting to maintain a post that's a list of area ramen houses, and what the consensus feels their best version is.

(For comparison, I had lunch at Boru Ramen yesterday, and their Hakata Tonkotsu is much better than their Shoyu; overall, they're merely decent and convenient if you happen to be in the area - I went to Kimen Ramen for the second time last weekend, and it's a clear step up in quality.)

No website.  (Not surprising--they seem relatively naive to modern American habits).  As to the type of Ramen I agree with Genevieve their pork ramen is quite tasty, which one--hmm  I don't know.

A sample of their menu pulled off of their yelp page

And a little more info from Arlnow

lunch menu.png